breeding hollands

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheandg

Reaction score
I have a fuzzy holland that I am using in my AFL program and She just had her first litter today and the first one was DOA and the second kit was stuck so after I let her try for about 10 minutes I helped pull it out and it was also DOA. Both kits looked normal other than being dead:( She stuggled with both kits for over an hour.....

So my question is, is it common for hollands to lose their first litter? I felt for any more and it looks like she just had the 2. Today was day 31 so right on target. I am wondering if I waited too long to breed her she just turned 9 months. Her DOB is may 21 2009. She is small just 3.1 pounds and the buck I have is a little bigger he is just over 4.5 pounds. ( I am looking for a new buck since he went over his weight class) he is the only one I have right now and I wanted to have her have a litter soon because of her age. I am looking for a smaller buck could that have played a part. I read that is isn't uncommon for hollands to lose their first and even second litter but just wanted to get some more opinions. Should I try her again?

thanks

Birthing problems seem to be more common during winter months. Hopefully, she'll do better the next time around.

I would if she has the proper texture of coat. Many fuzzy Hollands have coats that are too soft to breed into AFL lines.

Yes, You should try again.. It is common for first time mothers for their 1st.. Good Luck!:biggrin2:

When you get into showing and breeding.. You breed to get the best out of the best. When she haves babies, you keep the best out of that litter.. That's what I do. I just got into showing and breeding. I used to breed when i was a young teen.

I would definitely give her another chance. A few of my best mothers lost their first litter. Breed her back, (as Pam said, if she is good enough to be used in your AFL program). The weather is warming up and she should do better next time.

Make sure you assess any babies with the AFL Standard in mind.

Back