Breeding E Lop to V Lop

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rattiemattiesrattery

Reaction score
I don't my V lops have the best ears and head, compared to the masses, and also just in my opinion. Would breeding them to an E lop hurt?
Kinda ruins the pedigree doesn't though?
Mixing the breed back up a wee bit (even though V Lops are From E lops and Rexes)

Thoughts please?

Isn't that like introducing a ND into a lionhead breed to correct type? You would have to note it in your pedigree but I don't think it would ruin things. I hope someone with more knowledge comes along to help.

So you're saying your V Lops don't have good ears? Why not just find better V Lops to breed, then? It would take several generations to get back into purebreds, and it does make the offspring mixes. ;) And yes, it does screw up the "purebred" aspect of the pedigree.

Emily

Well one has bad ears while the others ears are fine.
And Vlops are basically E Lop and Rex. Which is why I would do the E Lop. *If you look far enough back you see the e lops in any V lops peds*

I agree that first choice should be to try to find a nice V Lop. Otherwise, E Lop isn't a bad choice. The fur is an issue, but not too hard to fix.

Being "purebred" also isn't much of an issue, especially w/ V Lop not being accepted, so are a ways off from being eligible for registration.

Ok thanks

One more things please. This is the big one that confuses the heck out of me.

How many generations does it take to make them "purebred"?

Also how on earth does it make them purebred? to me I see it as never really being purebred, because it's always gonna have that mix in there.

Thank you for all the help ^_^

Not sure if the rules are the same but it takes 4 generations after the mix as far as I know. so
generation 1 50% e-lop 50% rex
generation 2 breed G1 to a purebred v-lop =24% rex 75% v-lop
generation 3 breed G2 to a purebred = 12.5% e-lop 86.5% v-lop
generation 4 breed G3 to a purebred = purebred
I am sure Pam or someone else will come along and tell you if I am right or if I am wrong what the answer is

Rattiemattiesrattery wrote:
Ok thanks

How many generations does it take to make them "purebred"?

Also how on earth does it make them purebred? to me I see it as never really being purebred, because it's always gonna have that mix in there.

For ARBA registration purposes, "purebred" is considered to be a 3 generation pedigree of all the same breed - but yes, as in all breeds, there will be some percentage of something else in there (as countrybunsposted). This is generally considered enough for a line to breed relatively true and pass on consistent traits.

Here's a line breeding chart on my site:

http://www.nockrabbits.com/LineBreedingChart.html

excellent thank you. ^_^

Yeah we do things like that with our ratties, so I know all about the line breed part. With rats though, there aren't any purebred or not, kinda thing, unless you bring them over from other countries, then we keep track of it that way.

I would try breeding the pair. my doe doesn't have the best of ears, that's why when I picked my buck, he had the ears I wanted, all but one of the 9 kits came out with daddy's ears or a nice mix of their ears(length and width).

Yeah Daddy is gorgeous but his head is a bit too long in my opinion, but mommy has the head a nice dark color, that I am in love with.

From the litter we rescued from under the dirt, 4 out of 6 had great ears, (the bubs were small (I'm guessing because she wasn't a good mum out there), but they had nice long ears and nice and wide, the other two has short and thin)

And they all looked like her in the head and body (which is fabu) just I don't like the ears.

Latest posts

Back