Breeding dutch girl??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

12animaluv34

Reaction score
I have 2 dutch rabbits one male (Thumper) and a girl (Sky).

Thumper is 5 months and Sky is a little over 6 months.

He weighs 2.10 and she is almost for pounds.

She is a little longer than him but they are the same size except she is more heavy.

Is she to young to breed??

She is beautiful she has 2 blue eyes!!

And he is very pretty with his weird markings!!

Although I think they are just beautiful, I don't believe blue eyes are a good trait in dutch. There are more knowledgable people whoknow for sure.

I wouldn't breed them if they aren't going to improve the bloodlines. We have more than enough unwanted pets in the world.

Why do you want to breed them? Just because you can? Are you able to take care of all the babies if they get sick or need to go to a vet? Can you find them all good homes by the time they are ready to go, or can you feed and house them all if not? Can you take your girl to the vet if there are complications? Are you ready to lose your doe because "something went wrong" and she dies.

If you were showing them or looking to improve the breed, and you have the resources (money and time) to care for them, then you could breed them. But "Blue eyes" and "weird markings" are not good show traits in Dutch. If you have the money, get your bunnies spayed and neutered and let them live long, happy lives.

There are plenty of shelter rabbits available if you have the room to adopt another. It could save their life and give them a happy home.

I just want to say that if these animals are your pets then I would not breed them. Breeding a doe even one time can shorten her life span. Not to mention birthing problems and the fact that not all Dutch make great mothers. Trust me, been raising and showing them for 17 years. Had my share of heartaches. I breed to improve the breed and the health of the breed. I do not breed just to make "pretty babies".

Sharon

Also, I wanted to add that since you are under 16 years old, do you have money for a c-section? Do you have money for other vet visits?

Sharon

Now here's something I am a nethie breeder but I do love the dutch I steward on the dutch tables as much as I can and have learned quite a bit about them. They are very hard to breed and get right they have to be very exact on their markings and a lot of points are awarded for that.

Now a breeder over here could breed all their does get 100 babies and out of that you would be looking at approx 6 babies that would be good enough to take through to breed or show the rest are no good. Its a hard heart breaking task.

It sounds like you have a couple of nice pet dutch :). You would probably be better to do what Cathy said and get them spayed/neutered.

YES I AM UNDER 16 AND LIVE WITH MY MOM AND DAD AND THEY HAVE THE MONEY IF ANY THING WENT WRONG!!

AND I BREED LIONHEADS RO I KNOW ABOUT ALL OF THIS!!

I AM BREEDING NOT FOR SHOW BUT GOOD TEMPERMENTS AND YES I ALREADY HAVE 8 PEOPLE THAT HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR THEM TO GROW UP AND BE OLD ENOUGH TO BREED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I WILL DO WHAT I DO WITH MY LIONHEAD GIRLSTHEY HAVE 1 OR 2 LITTERS THEN THEY ARE FIXED!!

MY MALES I BREED ABOUT 5-7 TIMES THEN THEY GET FIXED!!

I KNOW HOW TO BREED RABBITS AND YES I HAVE 2 GREAT VETS I GO TOO!!

I JUST WANTED INFO ON BREEDING DUTCH RABBITS!!!!

I USED TO BREED LOPS ALSO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SO YA IM NOT STUPID!!

AND MY MOM BREEDS YORKIES SO MY RABBITS EVEN GET X-RAYED TO MAKE SURE WE KNOW HOW MANY SHE WILL HAVE AND NONE GET STUCK!!

AND YES IF I CANT FIND HOMES FOR THE BABYS I WILL KEEP THEM BUT AS I SAID BEFORE I HAVE 8 PEOPLE WAITING!!!!!!!!!!!!

AND THE ONLY WIERD MARKINGS HE HAS IS THE WHITE MARK AROUND HIS NECK GO'S A LITTLE LONGER THEN IT SHOULD ON HIS BACK!!!!!!!!

Leave some !!!!! for the rest of us!!!!!
Try not to yell so much, hon. It does sound to me like you have done enough 'fun breeding' and should try getting serious about breeding to standard, or not at all.

There really are enough non-standard pet rabbits to go around already. Take your breeding to the next level or get off the stairs.

(Don't mean to sound harsh but that's my advice.)

12animaluv34 wrote:
YES I AM UNDER 16 AND LIVE WITH MY MOM AND DAD  AND THEY HAVE THE MONEY IF ANY THING WENT WRONG!!

AND I BREED LIONHEADS RO I KNOW ABOUT ALL OF THIS!!

I AM BREEDING NOT FOR SHOW BUT GOOD TEMPERMENTS AND YES I ALREADY HAVE 8 PEOPLE THAT HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR THEM TO GROW UP AND BE OLD ENOUGH TO BREED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I WILL DO WHAT I DO WITH MY LIONHEAD GIRLS THEY HAVE 1 OR 2 LITTERS THEN THEY ARE FIXED!!

MY MALES I BREED ABOUT 5-7 TIMES THEN THEY GET FIXED!!

I KNOW HOW TO BREED RABBITS AND YES I HAVE 2 GREAT VETS I GO TOO!!

I JUST WANTED INFO ON BREEDING DUTCH RABBITS!!!!

I USED TO BREED LOPS ALSO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SO YA IM NOT STUPID!!

AND MY MOM BREEDS YORKIES SO MY RABBITS EVEN GET X-RAYED TO MAKE SURE WE KNOW HOW MANY SHE WILL HAVE AND NONE GET STUCK!!

AND YES IF I CANT FIND HOMES FOR THE BABYS I WILL KEEP THEM BUT AS I SAID BEFORE I HAVE 8 PEOPLE WAITING!!!!!!!!!!!!

AND THE ONLY WIERD MARKINGS HE HAS IS THE WHITE MARK AROUND HIS NECK GO'S A LITTLE LONGER THEN IT SHOULD ON HIS BACK!!!!!!!!

What's with all the caps. When you post on the forum it is to gather opinions, which you did. There is no need for all the caps.

I can understand that you do breed rabbits and so therefore you know your fair share about them but you didn't post that information at the beginning so people had no way of knowing how experienced you are with rabbits.

You can understand then why people gave you the advice they did.

OK i did not mean to look like im yelling.

i always use all caps!!

Ok i paid 200.00 for my girl from a breeder that said the blue eyes were a good thing and very rare.

I paid 100.00 for my male at the same breeder!!

I know that was WAY to much but when she brought them out when they where 6 weeks old i feel in love with them!!

And yes i know she ripped me off but thery were wroth it!!

And i think she knew that was going to happen and that why she said that price!!

She brought them out and after a half hour i said i wanted them and loved them already and she said i will give you the male for 100 and the female 200 because of the blue eyes.

That 300.00 was not my money it was my mom and dads money!!

So im going to let them have 1 litter and get them both fixed.

i have homes for them already

most are my family and the babys will have to be fixed!!

So i can pay them back!!

She is almost 6 months old

Is she to young??

I was looking at them agian and they are the same size except she is more heavy.

And my scales were WAY of he is 2.8 and she is 2.12

Is she too small??

I love her and dont want to hurt her!!!!!!!!!

Can you post a pic of them? It almost sounds to me that they are not purebred Dutch, they most likely are vienna marked Netherland Dwarfs. Blue eyes are not accepted in Dutch however, blue-gray are. What variety of Dutch do you have?

I can't really tell you whether she is too young because I am more worried about the size of her. If she is truly a Dutch, then she is too small to carry babies. However, if she is a Netherland Dwarf, then she will be fine.

Dutch should weigh between 3.08 and 5.08 pounds.

Sharon

Yes i took pics of them and i will down load them today!!

Im pretty she's a dutch but who knows!!

I have to go to a friends to download them.

I have all 10 of my rabbits outside washing cages and letting them eat some grass!!

So i will post them later today.

I'm going to ask that you not attack the others (including myself) with yelling on the forum. (and you dont' always use all caps since your other posts have not been caps...... :rollseyes)

We do NOT condone rabbit breeding for "funsies" here. If you breed non-quality rabbits for the sake of having baby bunnies around, we consider that a backyard breeder which is just like a "puppy mill farmer"..... it's wrong.

Sorry, but it's how the board is - we have a lot of respectable and excellent breeders here (and I am sure your lionheads might be great) but they don't breed "mutts" just for kicks. Go to your nearest rabbit rescue and maybe you'll get the idea.

12animaluv34 wrote:

And he is very pretty with his weird markings!!
12animaluv34 wrote:
I'd like tomentionthat you are the one that said he had "weird" markings. But I think the important thing to determine now is exactly what breed they are. Photo's would help when you get a chance....

Well i had my bunnies out eating grass my dog got out of the fence so i went in to get some treats and was gone maybe 3 min. and he got Sky out of her cage and she was dead when i got out their. I looked at her cage and i dont know how he got her out so fast.So i took my other rabbits in.I am not going to risk my rabbits lifes.My mom has a rescue and he is now on the site to be adopted.i will still post the pics of Sky and Thumper today.

And to Bo B Bunny,

Im not attacking no one this is not the only place i post stuff on i am in many,many yahoo groups so dont tell me i dont use caps alot because i do.

And i just dont breed rabbits for fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I have kept back 2 of my babys and shown them out of my own breeding!!!!!!!!!

AND are u calling me a back yard rabbit breeder??????????????

Because my Mom has a dog rescue and i know what a back yard breeder is and i know what a puppy mill is also!!!!!!!!!!!

And i am not one i have my rescue bunnies and my 5 breeding bunnies 1 lion head male and 2 females and i had my 1 female dutch and my one male dutch!!

I WILL tell you how you can behave here....

If you are breeding 2 low-quality rabbits and don't even know their breed.... yes, you are a backyard (mutt) breeder..... not cool.

I'm locking this thread. I'm convinced you're just here trying to start something.

Latest posts

Back