Breeding Bonded Sister Rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yamaya17

Reaction score
So at my last show i bought a pair of 8 week old fuzzy lop sisters, I bought them both because, well, Bogo bunnies :D , but also because I liked the idea of them having each others company, but I have no experience with bonded rabbits, especially un-neutered ones, so any sort of advice on the subject would be so helpful, and also don't be afraid to tell me i'm being stupid and should separate them before they hit bunny puberty. But these are some very beautiful rabbits and i would really like to breed them, so, if I were to keep them bonded how would breeding/birthing and litters work? would I breed one at a time, or both to the same buck at the same time? would they mother each others babies or just be jerks to each other, any advice on this subject would be so so helpful!

They aren't really bonded at that age. Young rabbits, before hitting the hormonal stage, usually get along with each other pretty good. Sometimes they even continue getting along...just depends. You would need to separate them if you see ANY aggression or signs of it, like missing fur. I wouldn't keep them together after that point, nor would I trust them to not be aggressive towards the other's kits if you breed them.

I can't remember where I read it, but I did read of someone who had a rabbitry that kept the males separate, but housed females in pairs (separated for kindling etc). So I'm sure that it can be done, however it really does depend on the personality of your females, I think you really have to get lucky with that sort of thing. You could keep them together for now, but I agree that if you see any signs of aggression, they will need to be separated.

I had two sisters together for a few months, then one day I looked in the cage and saw fur everywhere! One female had ripped the others entire mane out :( You can rebond them after they start getting hormonal with some slow and steady steps ( I am doing that right now) but I have never put pregnant females together. I would just keep an eye on them. Bunnies don't always do whats expected of them!

Back