Breeding a magpie holland lop

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunzy

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a magpie holland lop female I’ve been breeding to a chinchilla, they have had beautiful babies together, they’ve had chinchillas, chocolate chinchillas, chinchilla blacks magpies, and sable magpies, I was thinking if I got a male magpie from my next litter should I keep him to Breed to the mom? If I did breed two magpies what colors would I get?

Thanks.

magpie x magpie will get you mostly magpie, but magpie is not really a desirable color in holland lops; its not in the breed standard.

Hey guys, I have a magpie holland lop female I’ve been breeding to a chinchilla, they have had beautiful babies together, they’ve had chinchillas, chocolate chinchillas, chinchilla blacks magpies, and sable magpies, I was thinking if I got a male magpie from my next litter should I keep him to Breed to the mom? If I did breed two magpies what colors would I get?

Thanks.
It's not a good idea to breed the doe's son back to the doe. That's a form of inbreeding and could even cause genetic defects. Plus, since the potential magpie son would have the same colors as its pedigree, you'd probably get the same colors over again, with a few more magpies than normal. If you decided to keep a bunny from the next litter, it would be better to purchase a new bunny of a color you're interested in that has no relation, and you could expand your world of color! In a perfect world you could find a breeder who's been working on getting good type pet colors, and possibly find a magpie with nice type to breed to either your doe or buck, for a variation on color plus a higher percentage of well-typed babies. Hope this helps!

Latest posts

Back