Breeders....hook me up..

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAK Rabbitry

Reaction score
I am needing a list of each recognized breed's UNrecognized colors.

I already have Dutch all taken care of but seeing as I dont have that much experience with other breeds, I'm going to pick your brains. This may also include varieties that have a COD, varieties that are possible but are not recognized like ( like lilac in Dutch and Silver Martens), or colors that are produced and used solely to improve color on other recognized varieties (like yellow in Dutch).

List as:

BREED:
Unrec Color
Unrec Color

Thank you!

-JAK

That's an overwhelming task because any color can occur in any breed.

Steel is one of the more common colors that can crop up in Satins, New Zealands, and Americans. But it is also occasionally seen in breeds such as Mini Rex.

Blues crop up in Dwarf Hotots, and I've also seen Chestnut, Otter, and Sable.

Tort otters commonly crop up in breeds that accept otters tan patterns and non-extension varieties.

I could go on and on . . . but I have to go to school ;)

Pam

Yeah, Pam is right. lol I have a tortoise shell marten jersey wooly, so not only can you get unrecognized colors, but you can combine two totally different things, like a tan pattern and a shaded variety, to get a whole different color. lol

I would suggest making lists of recognized colors rather than unrecognized. Stuff an pop up that you'd never imagine if you do the right (wrong) breedings. lol

Well I can help a bit with Mini Rex, here's a page with pictures of recognized and unrecognized colors-

http://www.geocities.com/falls_acre_rabbits/mr-colors.html

I've had a tort otter in one of my litters, it was pretty neat looking. Tort Silvers are not allowed, although it can happen if you cross blacks and fawns. Ermines or Frosties aren't recognized in many breeds. Blue is not yet a recognized color in Silver Fox, it was and then was dropped, their working on getting it recognized again. Some one in California is working on chocolate Silver Fox as well. Chocolates in Beverens can pop up. I'll try to think of more.

There's a COD out on Lilac Satins, I met the woman who was holding it. Mini Satins I think are only reconized in White right now but all the other colors that full sized Satins are recognized in are being worked on- Black Blue Broken Californian Chinchilla Chocolate Copper Otter Red Siamese. Supposedly someone is working on Opal Flemish Giants very quietly. In Rex their trying to get blue, chocolate and lilac otters passed, think their close. in Belgian Hares the new color is black and tans, saw some at PASRBA convention, very cool bunnies. In Brit Petites they only recognize five colors, white, black, black otter, chestnut agouti and sable marten, here's a neat Brit page.

http://www.britanniapetites.com/1Unrecognized.html

Dutch page- I've seen a siamese sable Dutch-

http://www.dutchrabbit.com/varieties/nonrecognizedvarieties.html

Well thats it for tonight, maybe I'll think of/come across more tomorrow, can you tell that I like color genetics?

Right now, the Flemish are only recognized in 7 colors (Black, Blue, Fawn, LightGray, Sandy, Steel Gray and White). But I'm seeing Opal, Harlequin and Brokens from some breeders... and those are not accepted.

BlueGiants wrote:
Right now, the Flemish are only recognized in 7 colors (Black, Blue, Fawn, LightGray, Sandy, Steel Gray and White). But I'm seeing Opal, Harlequin and Brokens from some breeders... and those are not accepted.
HARLI FLEMMIE! WHERE?!

There's a COD out on Blue New Zealands, I think that brokens just passed not too long ago. Someone is working on Lilac Havanas, don't know if its going anywhere. REW sometimes shows up in breeds where NZW's have been used to improve type, Silver Fox and Harlequins come to mind.

JadeIcing wrote:
BlueGiants wrote:
HARLI FLEMMIE! WHERE?!
I said the exact same thing to myself...that would be cool! so would a broken. :)

I've seen blue tort, blue steel and chocolate tort in dutch. the first two were unshowable, the chocolate tort showed under tort and went un noticed by the judge, it wasn't until after the class he asked to see her again and he looked her over more carefully(I had asked him to) and he said she could pass as a tort, but she's def. chocolate tort. She had no tort in her background on her ped, all chocolates and blacks.

I have a blue tort silver marten netherland dwarf i will post a picture of her tomorrow! shes really cool looking, and to just let everyone know that looked at the mini rex site

sable point is a recognized color now since 2007

CODcolors are sable (2007- 1 pass 2008-1 fail 2009), smoke pearl- just got 2009and tans (black, blue, chocolate and otter)- just got 2009

Dana:bunnydance:

Back