breeder housing on wire bottoms

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I contacted this breeder, possibly wanting one of their babies. I asked what do you recommend to customers to house their rabbits in, and how they house their own rabbits. This was the response:
" If you click on the Inside the Rabbitry page you will see how my bunnies
are housed. I always recommend a wire bottom cage & wire bottom litter box
& some type of shelf to hop onto."

I agree with what is your question but will give maybe an answer or more information. A large majority of rabbit breeders and exhibitors raise rabbits on wire floors. The wire is very small (1/2" x 1/2" squares is how big ours is) to give equal amounts of support to the foot but large enough to let the poop fall down. It is the most sanitary living conditions for these rabbits as they dont have to sit on solid flooring with shavings or bedding and do not have to get dirty in a litter box. It is a myth that wire floors create feet problems as this can be genetic as well. Also some people have accounted that rabbits have gotten sore hocks on solid flooring as well. We have large tiles in all of our cages so they are not on pure wire all the time and most breeders have something like this in the cage to give the feet rest.

Latest posts

Back