Breed?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brearune

Reaction score
Hey guys!
I just took in a foster bunny for my friend who is going to Europe for school for a year (at least). since joining here I've become super curious as to what his breed is... she said that all she was told when she got him was that he's a "dwarf", but he doesn't look like the different kinds of dwarf bunnies I'm seeing on breed profile sites.
Any thoughts? :)

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=32386478&l=44410ffe5d&id=194804641
my bunny album :)

assuming its the one in your avatar as well, he reminds me of a Dutch crossed with a Netherland Dwarf. The chubby ND features with the slight banding of the dutch.

He has the partial dutch gene (if you can two dutch genes it's a dutch marked. if you have one, they just get the blaze) although red is a recessive color to the other dutch colors so the dutch would be at least two generations back.

the shorter ears point to dwarf although he may have some commercial in him depending on weight. I would call him a Dutch cross since we know that dutch is in his family tree somewhere.

I was going to say dutch/dwarf cross. and i know somewhere someone's working on red dutch. i read or heard that somewhere, so it could be a red ND and a red dutch in the process of getting a working red dutch with dutch markings

I know that the place she got him from tends to take the "misfits" from local breeders, so that could be, Blaze_Amita.
Thanks for all your feedback!!
I was leaning towards some sort of Dutch cross, too, but I know nothing of the genetics, I was just going by pictures and what I'm reading, lol.
So thanks for the help! It's very nice to know!

The only chance that he is a very mismarked, but still purebred, dutch is that his parents were a gray that carried tort crossed with a tort. Red rabbits are basically a red agouti with the recessive extension gene. It's very hard to achieve in dutch. A way to tell if your dutch came from two purebred dutch (assuming from a trusted breeder) is to ask a judge/breeder to evaluate the type. If the body is that of a dutch, it's safe to say that it is just a mismarked dutch.

I think your rabbit came from a tortoise dutch crossed with a red or chestnut (carrying e) agouti that was not a dutch. This resulted in partial dutch markings and the red color

Also, check your dutch's fur type. Brush your hand over him from rump to shoulders.

-If the fur snaps back to normal position, than it is another sign that he's a dutch (flyback)

-If the fur slowly returns, than you know for sure that he's a cross or a very big misfit (rollback)

I'm trying to figure out his fur type, to me it seems to snap back into place, but my boyfriend says it doesn't. It basically snaps NEARLY back into place, but takes another second or so to really FLATTEN. I tried recording it but now I'm having trouble uploading it to youtube, hahah.... I'll keep trying and let you know when I got it.

sometimes it's hard to tell. If it's mostly flyback than it's considered flyback...

Alright... maybe you can tell me if it is or not. Here's the video... as best I could get, lol.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWJfJJ6tnes[/ame]

Back