Breed Personalities..

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tohkie

Reaction score
Do you guys think that if a breed is smaller, they tend to be more "jumpy" and don't really like being held..
and if there's a larger breed (such as new zealands/flemishes..) or even the normal sized ones (english spot, american chinchilla...) they are more likely to be relaxed in your arms?

My 2 big breeds (english spot, flemish mix) were both really calm and enjoyed (maybe tolerated) being held, but my netherland dwarf will stay in my arms for maybe 5 seconds before trying to jump out.

And look at this video:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GJZ8Z7V6Lk[/ame]

Flemish giant... look how relaxed he is!

I think that it doesn't matter so much what breed it is (with the exception of your Brits and Checkereds and a few others) but on how much they're handled and messed with. Every individual breed has some in that breed that are relaxed and calm, and some that are a bit nasty, and some that just plain don't want bothered. I also think that most male rabbits, as a whole, are more laid back and tolerant than their female counterparts. But I have some Flop does that LOVE being messed with, some that tolerate, and a few that don't mind you looking and talking to them but don't think about getting all "lovey dovey" on them. That's my 2 cents....add another buck or so and you can get yourself a cheap cup of coffee. :)

I think it depends more on the individual rabbit than breed. While some breeds do tend to be more active and could dislike being held, of the typically calmer breeds, there can still be ones that don't like to be held.
Small breeds can be harder for some people to hold just do to them being small. Large and giant breeds can have a similar issue as they are too big for some people to hold comfortably. This can make the rabbit feel uncomfortable and not want to be held. A rabbit could also know that you are not totally comfortable handling them, so can react to that and struggle more.

I have 2 tan bucks that are about 4 months apart in age (they are about 2.5 now) and are very different when it comes to handling. Tesla just wants to run around and really doesn't like to be held that much. He will tolerate it sometimes, but if he gets excited he will want to get down. He is totally fine when on the floor though. Kraken on the other hand tends to be more calm and relaxed when being held. I can carry him around without too much fuss.

There are many generalizations made based on breed and most don't apply to all rabbits in the breed. It really comes down to the individual rabbit.

I have a Flemish and there is no way he lets me lift him like that. I mean I'm at the point now where I can lift him and its not too much of a struggle but he dislikes it. Maybe it will change in time or after neutering, but its certainly not like that now.

All of my bunnies are little, under 5lbs and two are ND's and they both like being cuddled. Rabbits just being pray animals can always have that gittery part to them. I do believe that a lot of how a rabbit turns out comes from how it was treated when young. :)

Each breed has it's own general characteristics...what is typical for that breed...but we all know that there are exceptions to any rule. Part of it depends on how the bunny was raised and how much they were handled and part of it depends on their personality. Polish are a small breed but, in general, they're pretty laid back and are content to sit in your lap. Our Tans are active and while many don't care much for being carried, some tolerate it better than others...but they aren't content to sit in your lap. English Spots are similar to Tans (active breed). We've had Himalayans and Californians and the Himmies are also pretty calm.

So, the general characteristics of the breed is just a place to start but by no means is it true for all. I think I'm saying what others are, but in a different way. :thumbup

Last edited:
Like most everyone has said it's individual rabbit, not breed.

My female Lionhead is the most chill rabbit ever! I can pick her up like that and she never complains. She is also very loving and super affectionate. She follows me around the house like a puppy. I'm convinced that if all rabbits were like Agnes, more people would own one ;)

Archie my male mini Rex is jumpy, opinionated, bossy, a complainer. I can pick him up fine but he tolerates it, he doesn't like it. He has attributes that the mini Rex breed isn't "supposed" to have and my female is waaay calmer than my male.

So again it's individual rabbit, not breed :)

Back