Breed Identification

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shuu

Reaction score
Lookin to identify my bunnies breeds. Store saidmini rex but Tyr doesn't have mini rex markings to my knowledge. Theyjust mixes?

My girl Loki
lokicone.jpg

My guy Tyr
layingtyr2.jpg

caught1.jpg

Sadly those are the only two recent pictures of Tyr I have.

Thanks in advance.

Loki looks like my doe, Mabel:

DSCF0085.jpg

I was told that Mabel is a mini-rex mix, although her markings remind me of English Spots.

By the way, I commend Loki for wearing that collar! If mybuns had to wear it, it would be off in the 20 seconds or less!

Thanks very much for the input. It doesn't matter to me if they're purebreed or mixes, was just curious. I still love them.:D

Mabel is georgeous, and believe me, Loki didn't like that cone one bit. :p

Shuu wrote:
Thanks very much for the input. It doesn't matter to me ifthey're purebreed or mixes, was just curious. I still love them.:D

Mabel is georgeous, and believe me, Loki didn't like that cone one bit. :p
Corky was in one for over 2 weeks, I had to go to a cat collarto keep it on him...he eventually learned how to get that off too!

dixonsrabbitry wrote:
The first one is either checkered gaint, or english spotmix. the second is dutch mix.
Nice to know my pet store is well informed.:X

Thanks for the info. I had a feeling Tyr had some Dutch in him. Loki'sstill pretty small so I don't think it's checkered giant. Her markingsare fairly large so it's difficult to classify them as "spots". Eitherway, thanks again for the insight, dixonsrabbitry.

The rabbits pictured appear to have longer,softer coats -- not the coarser, flyback coats of the EnglishSpot. The coat is very smooth and short so that the whitehairs do not obscure the markings as they are in the two rabbitspictured. The two spotted rabbits pictured have more of asofter "lop" rollback coat and lack crisp markings because their coatsare too long.

Pam

English Spot:

spot.jpg

Agreed. I do see similarities in Loki and Mabelcompared to the English Spot, but the coat is quite different. Maybe agreat-grandparent. Sadly it can be tough to tell with mixes. I justdon't like being directly misinformed by a place of business.

Who knows. It could be an english spot mini lopmix. It sure has the length and arch like an english. thoughhard to tell with mixes.

My vote is still on the mini-rex/english spotmix, at least for Mabel. Mable's fur is quite soft andluxurious, although not like my other bunny's, Winston, who is a puremini-rex.

I had mixes accidentally and they were dutch/ mini lops they looked just like your 1st bunny

here they are:

dalevacation0418.jpg

Freddy looks just like Loki, especially in coattype. How big/old is Freddy? Should give me some idea as to what tolook forward to when Loki's all grown up. =9

And as for the babies, I dunno how much more adorable they can get. Looks like little bats landed on their noses. :D

Freddys a lil over 5 months and at our fiasco atthe animal hospital he weighed in at 3.2 lbs...does loki have seeminglyhuge ears for her size?? freddy has huge dumbo ears lol ..i dont knowreally how to describe his coat if you put any rabbit in front of me idsay they are soft lol..but he has two lengths of hair one thats shortand really dense and then other longer hairs but there arefarless of those .. you can notice the difference between thetwo layers if you look up close..i dont know if you can tell in thispic or not

9351ed00.jpg

I know what you mean about the coat, Loki's isthe same. And yes, her ears are slightly larger than onemight consider proportionate. I think Loki actually weighs a littlemore than Freddy, the first picture you posted made him look biggerthan he is. She also has the same kind of slender facial structure ofFreddy. Whatever they are, I can bet they're the same. ;)

Latest posts

Back