Brand New Bunny/Brand New Member!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emilygmarie

Reaction score
Hello, all!
I've just gotten a new bunny, Wendell. I think he's only a few weeks old. Up to getting him I researched millions and millions things about owning a rabbit. On to my question, I think it may be an age thing that he is pooping literally everywhere. I mean, everywhere. Everywhere. I follow him all around and pick up after him, which is totally cool because he's so cute and I'm willing to put days of time into him. I've started to try and box train him, but since he's so young it may be a bit hard for him to grasp just yet. I've put hay in his "litter" box but he has it all over his cage as well, was this a mistake? Do you think he can't differentiate between his box and his cage? I researched a bit more and learned that I probably need more litter boxes hanging around. But at night I put his litter box in the corner of the cage he likes to go in, sometimes he does, sometimes he goes some place else in his cage. When he's out during the day I will put his litter box in the corner of the ROOM that he likes to go in, but he goes right beside it instead, haha.

-I'm so sorry if this is very long winded! I wanted to make sure I got all of my questions out there. Maybe some tips and tricks? Or answers as to why he poos every place he hops to? Thank you, so much.

Hi I'm also new and will be getting my first bunny tomorrow!! But while I was looking into owning a pet rabbit, I wondered about litter training and I read almost everywhere that its harder to train a baby before they get fixed, although many people do it successfully still! I've also read that when they get into a new home, they poop everywhere to mark their territory, so you should confine them to a smaller space for the first couple of days so they get used to only pooping there. You also should put the poop and paper towel with the pee inside the litter box so they get the idea that they should go there.

Like I said, I'm new too but I hoped this helped!

I have been putting his poop in the litter box all day lol. I think he's pooped in there one time lol. I guess I'll just keep picking up after him until he's older! I don't really mind though, but it does get a little monotonous!

I was lucky with my baby rabbit because I had the mommy with me (Unexpected kit!) So she taught her/him pretty well. Still because BOTH of my rabbits arn't fixed yet (changing this month) they will keep pooping out of their box a lot. When I first got my Yuki, (the momma) she kept pooping all over my room (I have cats who think there food so there not free roam outside of my room) I then changed my room around so i could get a bigger cage in my room and she stopped pooping on my floor. I have no Idea what changed in her mind but hey no more mommy poopies on my floor. And as for the Kit Avery she poops all over her cage, and sadly has taken to peeing on my bed and pooping there too. *sigh* Gotta love them tho right? Pics please?
I'm kinda new here too been on here since December when I got Yuki, and then six days later I got Avery the Kit. Rabbits are pregnant for like 29 days I think, So I got her pregnant xD. Thanks to the shelter I volunteer at lol. Oh well they both have been a blessing to have in my life. I have a two year old and a 8 week old. :)
Also just to let you know as far as spaying for females, also males, but mostly females could let your bun live much longer. I heard female buns can get cancer if you dont get them spayed ASAP. Mine is two years old now and getting her fixed this month for that reason, Also no more suprise babies if my kit is a boy xD

IMG_1486.jpg

IMG_1416.jpg

Oh and until there fixed, At least in there cage they are ALWAYS going to pee and poop out of litter box, once mostly litter boxed trained theyll do it in both. xD Once fixed, it should be much better, but still an occasional.
And they Hay may be confusing it, I would suggest keeping the "Eating hay" In like one corner and the Litter box with the hay in it in another corner, might make it less messy for you to clean :)

Latest posts

Back