Brachycephalic explosion?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vibribunbun

Reaction score
Hi,
So I swear "normal" rabbit breeds used to be popular back in the day.

But now it all seems to be mini lops, Netherland Dwarf or Lionhead all the time.

But I don't understand,
These breeds are the unhealthiest and few people have time to groom a dog or cat, let alone a lionhead.

They're sweet, but the majority of the market? Pushing poor Dutch to the side?

So why the sudden surge in popularity?
Are they as unhealthy as people say they are?

Do you think it's a fad that will die down or be banned like pug or frenchie in the future?

I'm just so confused 😕

They aren't that unhealthy. Rabbits don't have a stop, like dogs or cats do, so when their face is shortened it doesn't twist the air canal upwards, instead it just shortens it. That being said, the thing that gives these rabbits a bulldog head is mostly because they are bred to have plush, thick fur on the heads that really fills out the shape (especially on the forehead), instead of actually changing the shape of the skull. They do have some health issues; 'peanuts' are common in those breeds, and which don't live past a week, and if you get one from poorly bred lines malocclusion can be common as well but a dwarf or holland lop from a good breeder can be perfectly healthy.
Dutch also have this same head shape, by the way, its just usually not bred for as strongly because people focus on color. Personally, I think the government has no place to be regulating our pets. That ain't their job.

Here's an example with a dwarf breed on the right, a meat breed on the left, and a pretty average rabbit in the middle.

Attachments

• rabbit skulls.jpg
    rabbit skulls.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 14
Yes, some of the attributes we consider cute are responsiple for very common health problems, like overgrowing teeth due to altered head shape, even small deviations that are not obvious to the plain eye matter (unlike to dogs, it's essential for rabbits that the teeth are aligned to wear down properly). Ear infections in lops are commonplace, here there is already the discussion if this is torture breeding - most don't notice the pain in rabbits until it's real severe.

Cuteness sells. And small size. So a lot of those rabbits are produced to meet this demand.

I'm no fan of regulations either, that's like sending a Bulldozer to trim some roses, lots of collateral damage. Here online advertisment of certain animals got regulated, since then it got very difficult to find new homes for rabbits, a lot end up in the woods or elsewhere since shelters focus on dogs and cats and are overrun anyway.

But any future pet owner can profit from education and awareness about the issues of certain pets, it's well established in the dog world I would say.
That those breeds exist means that they can be bred, with knowledge and responsibility, to live a healthy life, thge breeds per se are not the main problem. But just multiplying them willy-nilly like any puppy mill will create problems. And those problems tend to be really expensive.

They aren't that unhealthy. Rabbits don't have a stop, like dogs or cats do, so when their face is shortened it doesn't twist the air canal upwards, instead it just shortens it. That being said, the thing that gives these rabbits a bulldog head is mostly because they are bred to have plush, thick fur on the heads that really fills out the shape (especially on the forehead), instead of actually changing the shape of the skull. They do have some health issues; 'peanuts' are common in those breeds, and which don't live past a week, and if you get one from poorly bred lines malocclusion can be common as well but a dwarf or holland lop from a good breeder can be perfectly healthy.
Dutch also have this same head shape, by the way, its just usually not bred for as strongly because people focus on color. Personally, I think the government has no place to be regulating our pets. That ain't their job.

Here's an example with a dwarf breed on the rabbit, a meat breed on the left, and a pretty average rabbit in the middle.

I own a nethie, mini lop and dutch.

I've been terrified that I was doing the wrong thing.
But I've had 3 nethie and a lop and lop cross.

Never had an issue with teeth.
Just check the teeth before you buy them I think.

I'm absolutely furious.
I saw an image of a lop superimposed on a natural rabbit and tried it with my lop.
The original looks more like a eastern cottontail to me.
It's a completely different species to European rabbit in which all domestic rabbits descend from.
Also understand fear of super flat faces lops. But most are healthy looking.

cropped-Screenshot-2021-03-16-at-11.00.46 (1).png20220220_141020_kindlephoto-3179698-removebg-preview-overlay (7).pngimgonline-com-ua-resize-9CCktTuGxDCHquA-removebg-preview-overlay (1).png

Just look. My images are the minilop/Dutch and mini lop/European rabbut.
mini lop and dutch are mine, European rabbit is adult found online.

also where did you get the skulls? So far I have a guinea pig one (feeder skull from eBay) and crystallized bunny from etsy. Genuine and I really love skuls.

I was just so worried I was "the bad guy".
Also what's the surge in popularity?

Last edited:
They are definitely at higher risk of various health problems, that has been known for decades. The World Small Animal Veterinary Association and the Federation of European Companion Animal Veterinary Associations have organised lobbying campaigns to develop anti-brachycephaly laws. It is a huge animal welfare issue. Here is what Richard Saunders, expert rabbit vet, has to say about this issue: Charities highlight brachycephaly in rabbits and cats Norway has banned breeding of English bulldogs and cavalier King Charles Spaniels. It's a start, a long way to go...

Back