"Boycotting" stores that sell live animals

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do try :)
I have signed numerous petitions (As well it is why I quit working for both stores), signed numerous exotic laws (To provide more rights for non cat/dog and livestock animals)

For example, meat rabbits are considerd livestock neccisarily because they have "Dual purpose" i.e pets. So they are not regulated, and most rabbit slaughters are very small home grown. So I have signed petitions and done research about regulating the industry.

I have very simple solutions to help petco/petsmart improve thier animals conditions..however it takes more than a 20 year old with an opinion to make things happen. But I try to take part in the bigger picture that I can agree with.

That is why I am going to school, researching, and trying to become a part of the bigger picture myself :)

I edited the title to avoid confusion. ;)

Boycott: Refusal to purchase goods or services in protest of the policies of a company.

Ban:A decree that prohibits something.

Myia09 wrote:
Nancy McClelland wrote:
They seriously need to change thier policies, and educate thier workers who often don't know ANYTHING bout the animals they are selling.

This week I walk into a Petco that just so happened to an adult New Zealand. Compared to the one we have it was much bigger and I asked an employee if she knew how old it was so that I could perhaps guessimate how old Charlie was. Not only did she not know, but then when she realized why I had asked she told me it didn't matter how old my bun was just give him timmy hay and pellets.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I've read that young buns should get alfalfa because of the calcium but should be phased out as they get older. Gauging Charlie's age has been one of my top priorities in order for me to be able to give him the appropriate foods.

Anyways whether I'm wrong or right I was severely ticked of at the way the employee told me "JUST give him pellets and hay" like if it was all the same and didn't matter. I quietly put down the items I was about to purchase for my dogs and bun and left. I just didn't feel good about the store after that. I've had several bad experiences at different Petcos, I honestly don't know why I gave them a shot.

That being said, I think it really depends on the management of the particular store. There's a Petsmart close to me that is wonderful, all the animals are well taken care of and the employees are helpful and care about the animals. Either way this weekend calls for a trip to the feed store. It'll be some what of a trip but hopefully it'll worth it and i can stock up on some fresh hay.

Latest posts

Back