Boy or Girl?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WaffleTheif

New Bunny Addict
Reaction score
WaffleTheif here!
I was wondering if I should get a male or female rabbit??? I've heard that males are better for new owners, but I'm really leaning into getting a girl. :( Just state your opinion, thanks! :thumbup

~Waffle

I'm not sure. I have a boy bunny and he's really snuggley and sweet. I've never owned a girl rabbit so I don't know what they are like. But I'd say that its really up to you. Which gender you feel is right for you you should get. I've never heard of female rabbits being bad for first bunny owners.

I prefer boys. In my experience they are much more friendly and easier to bond with. All of the females I have had have been more skittish and extremely standoffish, not wanting anything to do with me. I have one that I'm trying to get to come around now by bribing her with pomegranate craisins whenever she's around me. I think it's working, so I'm hoping that she'll at least love me for my food if nothing else. :rofl: My boy bunnies love me just because!

I have a Male, and a Female Rabbit. Both have their awesome, snuggly moments. I find that my Male smells more than my Female, but he is un-fixed right now! Fixing them can definitely help with their behavioral issues (so I have been told).

Remember each rabbit has their own personality! Males and Females can both make the perfect bunny pet :thumbup

Both have their virtues. We have a female Checkered Giant that will stay on your lap forever. We've also had male bunnies that were the same--Commodore Stockton would sit on my lap for hours and help me with the newspaper, I'd read and he'd shred.

Miy first bunnies were all girls, they were great and they put up with me being rough with them and everything. All the does I've had have been super friendly so I think it's funny how many people say their does are skittish. I've had a couple bucks before Pip and they were pretty skittish, Pip is great and really sweet. It also kind of depends on how much time you spend with him/her like if you just leave them alone for the most part and then decide after a while to pick them up they'll obviously be skittish. In the end I think I'd say a doe. Especially if you're adopting like you said you might, the doe would most likely be spayed and that helps in both females and males.

I always leaned toward favoring the males. The ones I had seemed more outgoing and friendly. BUT then with the last 2 pairs I've had, it's been the opposite -- males more aloof and the female more friendly.

So I'd say choose the rabbit with the temperament you like best, regardless of gender. ...can't remember, were you going to look at rescues? If so, then just meet the rabbits and don't even think about their gender. See which one you gravitate toward.

Once you get them neutered/spayed there isn't much difference in behaviour between genders. Just pick well bred, well-handled friendly litters to choose your new bun!

I have had both. I've actually had a rather different experience than alot of you seem to say. My does have been so so snuggles and love attention where Ripely loves being around people, but doesn't want anything to do with being held, touched, petted, or anyhting like that. He likes things on his own terms. However, I did have one doe who had a similar personality to that. So, I think each and every bunny has their own personality and some breeds have certain personality things too. Go with a girl if that's what you're really excited about. I think it has to just do with getting to know the individular bunny you're adopting rather than having to do with the gender.

I started out with does as pets. I think it depends a lot on how you interact with your rabbits. My girls all went through the "don't touch me" stage. One was even mildly cage aggressive when she reached about 6 months old. But I was young and too in love with bunnies to let them sit. So despite their wishes, I'd reach in and pet them, carry them around, cuddle them, take them on walks, etc. Once they reached about a year old, the hormonal behavior started fading away again.

If you're adamant about handling your rabbit, even if they don't "want" to, any gender will be just fine. :) Ever since I've gotten into breeding, I can say that bucks are definitely more naturally attention-seeking. Some to the point that it's almost annoying, like a clingy dog. LOL So for pet owners seeking a quicker bond with their bunny, bucks are definitely going to be more fitting.

My does have never been like that, naturally...I do have those that will seek attention, but only because of how I raised them.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it depends a lot on your own personality and how you care for and handle your animals. Both genders can make great pets, even unaltered, but it depends on what your expectations are. In general, does take a lot of work to bring them to the point of interaction that seems to come naturally for bucks.

Alrighty! I'll just handle the bunnies (If they'll let me! ;P) and see which one fits me best. Muffin was the sweetest little girl, but male critters are sweet too, so the odds are tied.
As for how I handle my animals...I am usually busy, so I take my guinea pig out a couple times a week, not that she cares. She is a sweet little girl, but struggles when I am picking her up, but then she will just sit in your lap forever. I don't let her; she poops on me. My hamster - Bobbio - could care less if he ever saw me again. He just sits there in his little plastic strawberry and sleeps, only coming out to eat and SIT on his wheel. Just sit. He'll let me pick him up, but doesn't like it. He's a dwarf. Sorry to bore you guys with my stories, I'll leave out my big "critters". (Horse dog and cat.)

~Waffle

Last edited:
Back