Botched Splinting

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

genie_bunneh

Reaction score
Aperture fractured his leg, above the wrist, last week. The first split that the vet put on him fell right off. It was far too long for his leg, and he managed to kick it free. After that, northern_autumn and her wonderful partner helped me wrap his leg and immobilize the fractured part of his leg. He was still able to bend his elbow and move freely, though we kept him in a small closed off area so he wouldn't be tempted to jump. We watched very carefully for swelling to make sure that he had circulation to his foot.

When he seemed to be adjusting to it, we let him go back to his very busy life of eating and pooping. I checked him again at 4am the next morning, and his foot looked normal. He was still keeping his leg close to his body, and not putting any pressure on it.

My fiance took Aperture back to the vet later that day, where he was berated for splinting the leg himself, and told that he probably did more damage than good. The vet RE-SPLINTED his entire leg and told my fiance to keep an eye on it and to watch for smells (as they meant infection)

Today... oh my god... I'm still fuming. The vet removed the splint and uncovered his leg (I'll post pictures at the end). Now we're putting him on an antibiotic regimen, and I'm terrified that he's abssessed.

His foot is red and mangled from being forced to a point. And because the splint covered his entire leg, from paw to armpit, he wasn't able to bend or stand or even sit properly. His elbow rubbed inside the splint and caused the flesh to become raw and split open.

This one's a little blurry. This is the bottom of his arm.
aperturesleg.jpg

The top of his arm.
aperturesleg1.jpg

I'm finding a new vet.

Yes please do find a new vet. that vet obviously does not know what he/she is talking about. He was obviously more comfortabl with your home splint. We often doctor our own animals cause alot of these vets anymore are fresh out of college and have no idea. that vet needs some schooling from some one who knows. you wouldn't do that to a cow or horse or dog they need to be able to get circulation and stay strong. The vet did worse. I would honestly turn this vet into theCanadian Veterinary Medical Association.

prayers for your bunny to get better

Best wishes

Crystal

I talked to Autumn tonight...
Keep him on the Metacam and Baytril until you can get to a new vet!

I hope things work out! Poor guy! :(

I think once the circulation is back in the arm it should be fine...having been in a crappy/poorly applied splint for so long it will take a few days for the swelling to go back down. The pressure points were cutting off circulation. You really can't massage it either with the fracture and sores.
His foot will be fine again once he is able to put weight on it.
But as long as there are weeping sores you really can't re-splint the leg right now. Keep a close watch for infection...clean the sores and let them dry up a bit! I wish I had thought to include Dermagel in the package! If you go to a new vet ask them about Dermagel! It is really great to have on hand for wounds! It isn't too expensive either!

I'm sure Autumn has already covered all this with you! :)
Good Luck!

Danielle :)

Thank you ladies so so so much!

Aperture's leg looks less red and swollen this morning. It's still warm to touch though, and he doesn't want me handling it.

We got his meds into him before breakfast salad this morning. I'm going to be calling the new vet in an hour or so to set up an appointment as early as possible.

Fingers crossed!

Hopefully this vet is a lit more rabbit savvy! :)

Hugs to Aperture!

The appointment is Monday morning. The vet we found comes highly recommended by another bunny parent.

Poor little guy just wants to get out and play... in consolation, he's getting lots of parsley and carrot tops.

The check-up with Dr. O'Connor went well. He told us to keep up what we're doing with the baytril and the metacam. His main concern was nerve damage to Aperture's leg. The circulation is pretty good to his toes, and he's showing signs of improvement.

Chances are, if he doesn't make a full recovery over time, he'll have a wonky leg. I can live with that... so much for Aperture's celebrity show-jumping career...

:yahoo::pinkbouce::party0002:

Any improvement is good news!
Sounds like this vet is a little more on the ball!

Did he agree it was splint damage?

Danielle:)

It is good that the circulation is coming back to the tissue. He will probably have to be on some antibiotics though, for any infection caused by the wounds from the bad splint.

Yep, he said it was all from the splint. Dr. O'Connor was great. He had a few adjustments for our dosages, which he looked up for us. He also joked that it's nice that children's motrin comes in fruit flavours, so it's easier to get bunnies to eat it.

And I forgot to mention before: The bone is set. Provided he doesn't smash his leg into anything (which is unlikely, as we reduced his cage size to half, and removed most of the fun stuff) it should heal alright in just a few weeks. At least the splint did that much >_>

Latest posts

Back