bored bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mochachino

Reaction score
I have a 5 yr old spayed female bunny named Mochathat loves to rip up carpet, and I'm pretty sure this is because shehas become bored with the toys I've given her.

She has shredded one corner all the way down to theconcrete!!(yes,she even dug through theinsulation--no, she didn't eat any of it) We've put dumbbellsin all the corners of the room, and placed a smooth wooden doorunderneath her pen so she can't reach the carpet, which is working forthe time being. However, if it ISboredom thatcaused thisbehavior, then I'm sure its only a matter of timebefore another bad habit presents itself. This weekend, I'mplanning a huge bunny-toy-building session, so any toy ideas would beabsolutely fantastic, as well as idea to protect my poor mother'scarpet. Thank you in advance!

Some bunnies are just constant diggers.Since she ejoys digging so much, try giving her a safer was to do it.You can try a box full of newspaper to dig and shred.

She's also a chewer from the sounds of it. Try chew toys. Chewstoys can be something so cheap, an empty toilet pare tubestuffed with hay, to old phone books, newspaper, willow or applesticks, or homemade flavored popsicle sticks.

Oh another thing I'm islearning alot ofrabbits enjoy an empty paper bag. The kind you get from the grocerystore. They love ripping, shredding , jumping in and on them.

As to the carpet, the only thing I can recommend lay someplywood down. Not exactly attractive but it works. I hope thishelps.

Tina

im thinking of buying lucy a kiddys sand pit

filling it with soil

put 2 old bed sheets down and letting her have the time of her life

the only thing is she's white

varna xxxx

lucylocket wrote:
im thinking of buying lucy a kiddys sand pit

filling it with soil

put 2 old bed sheets down and letting her have the time of her life

the only thing is she's white

varna xxxx

How about using sand instead of dirt? That way it won't mess up her white fur...

I thought about doing something similar for my bun, but I'm afraid he(and the cats) might want to use it as a litterbox! :shock:

I've given her a box with shredded newpaperbefore, and it didn't seem to go over so well. I think shemight like it better if SHE were the one doing the shredding, so I'mgoing to try it again with the newspaper in wider strips or maybe evenhay. I love the idea of stuffing toilet paper rolls withhay! I usually just give them to her as is, but I thinkshe'll have more fun with a little treat inside!! I've gottenher some things from Busy Bunny before that were made from woven appletwigs and such that she really seemed to like, so I'll see if I canorder more. I haven't tried that paper bag idea, but I thinkit'll be a hit. Mocha loves to explore!

Thank you for the plywood idea. I'll see if I can worksomething out with my mom, I'm sure she'd prefer a little wood in thecorners to shredded carpet. :?

The kiddie sand box idea I also LOVE!! That sounds absolutely perfect, I can't wait to try it!

Another Mocha, how cute! I'll have to post some pictures eventually and we can compare bunnies :)

Thank you all for these wonderful ideas, I am so excited!Mocha is going to be so pleased! I am always a little worriedthat I'm not stimulating Mocha enough, so these toy ideas should helpkeep her occupied.

My buns like bird toys. I picked out acouple with wood & leather. They like to chomp downon the leather the most. Maybe your bun would like thatvegatable parchment bedding. It comes in compact squares andthey can tear it apart and it gets really full. And it's okif they eat it cause it's vegetable parchment. Here...see ifthis helps:

http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441780526&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302026355&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023695&bmUID=1112232602024

My male dutch dwarfReggie wasconstantly digging at my linoleum trying to dig a hole, he wasn'thurting anything but he seemed frustrated because the hole just wasn'thappening for him:p. I ended up putting a couple of inches ofplay sand in a rubbermaid container and he loves it. He takesturns digging and doing binkies in the sand so I know he's happy, thelittle goof ball:cool:.

Latest posts

Back