BooBerry - it wasn't your time

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinysMom

Reaction score
As a breeder, I lose rabbits more often thanmost forum members. Sometimes they're stillborn babies - sometimesthey're weanlings - sometimes it is an older rabbit. Italways hurts - but sometimes it hurts more than others. I usuaslly tryto not share about losses - but sometimes - I have to. It just hurtstoo much.

BooBerry was Miss Bea's daughter. She was born in September of 2005 andwhat a surprise it was to find not only one - but TWO blue babies inthe litter. Her brother was named "Boo" and she became "BooBerry".

As she grew, Miss Bea and BooBerry were good friends for a long timeand then BooBerry joined Tiny's harem and Miss Bea never was happyabout that. For the last few weeks - BooBerry would come up and groomTiny in front of Miss Bea and of course Miss Bea would have a fit ifBooBerry went near any of HER bucks that were in cages in the diningroom.

On Thursday night, BooBerry wasn't acting like she felt well. ByFriday, I realized it was stasis (I'd already started her on stuffThursday night just in case it was that). Before I got up on Friday,Art allowed her to go play in the back yard and when we brought her inthat night - she was so much improved. Art said if it was going to beher last day - he wanted it to be a happy one for her....she just lovedit too. I have no regrets about Friday.

Saturday and Sunday she spent in our bedroom. By Sunday morning she wasstarting to eat hay on her own and she was drinking water too. Byafternoon I said to Art, "Wow...I really think we've pulled her throughthis." He agreed. Even on Saturday night he was pointing out how alertshe was and how she wasn't acting like other sick bunnies we'd hadbefore.

At 2:30 am this morning (Monday morning) - I went into our bedroom and found her laying by her water bowl. She'd passed away.

I'm still in shock and crying over this. I can't believe that myBooBerry is gone. She was starting to eat and even taking baby food.

An interesting thing about BooBerry - is that when her litter was born- we were allowing Miss Bea to live in our bedroom. She had the babiesin the closet (we allowed it) - because she was so miserable living ina cage. Miss Bea has always hated cages and lvoed her freedom.

Tiny was also living in our bedroom and he sort of "watched over" thatlitter. As they got old enough to come out of the nestbox - they couldfrequently be found crawling on top of Tiny or napping beside him. Sois it any wonder she wound up being part of his harem?

I've gone through some old pictures of her on my computer - and I'm kicking myself now for not having more of her.

November 19, 2005

December 8, 2005

January 4, 2006

BooBerry - you weren't supposed to leave us so soon. Dad's first wordsupon hearing of your passing were, "DRAT..I thought she was going tomake it."

I know we did all we could and you were starting to eat so well. We all thought you were gonna pull through.

Now who will be Miss Bea's nemesis for Tiny's affection?

I miss you baby - I can't stop bawling yet...

I was not only your breeder - I was your mama too!

Mama

P.S. I had even told daddy this afternoon that I was going to go ahead and breed you to Mopsy this summer....

I have no idea what happened Pipp - and that is what is so hard about this.

I've pulled several rabbits through GI Stasis - sometimes worse thanthis.....and she was finally drinking on her own along with eating somehay (not much) and willingly taking baby food w/ critical care andnutrical in it along w/ some pedialyte. She hated the pumpkin...

I'd even seen a couple of poops....so I really thought we were on ourway out the other side. I'd gone in to give her some more food (I'dtried pellet slurry but she wasn't having any of that - but she wouldtake the nutrical/critical care/ babyfood /pedialyte mixture just fine)and there she was......

I'm kicking myself partly because I wasn't there for her....Imean....it is killing me that she was alone when she died. If I everhave a rabbit that I KNOW is gonna cross the bridge...I'm there withthem....no matter how long or how late I have to stay up with them.

Art is going to bury her today near Ginger...it is the only consolationI have right now...that at least they'll be close together.

I've lost other rabbits that I never mention on here....not because Ididn't love them - but because we have so many that I expect to losemore than the average member - not that I want to.

But to lose her....after seeing the progress she was making..

I'm devastated. I think Art is devastated too. He was getting pretty attached to her.

Pipp wrote:
Oh no, not BooBerry... :bigtears:

I wonder what happened? Poor baby. :( They're so fragile...

So sorry, Peg :imsorry:

sas :cry2

Peg, I'm so sorry :bigtears:

Oh no no no, Peg I am so sorry...not BooBerry :cry2

Binky free at the Bridge with GingerSpice sweetie :rainbow:

Oh Peg, I'm so sorry. Life just isn't fair, you take such great care of all your babies.

Binky Free BooBerry.

Susan:angelandbunny:

I am so sorry.

Prayers.jpg

:bunnyangel::bunnyangel:I am so sorry to hear ofyour loss.Sometimes life isnt fair. I to am a breeder and I have lost afew too. I just lost my favorite bunny on 4-16-07 his name was big bithe was a flemish giant.I thought he was going to make it to. One day hewas okay and the next day he wasnt acting right I took him tothe vet. They said he had a cold gave him meds. By the time I got himhome, I had a cover over his cage. When I uncovered him he was dying.Ito was in shock I thought that by taking him to the vet right away hewould have a chance. But he was in god's hand.Now he is a bunnyangel.

Well god bless

bunnylady:cry4:

grumpybabies wrote:
Not again, not to you Peg, it's not fair
My thoughts exactly.:cry2 My heart just stopped when I saw your post. Its been such a rough year for you.

I'll be praying for you, Peg, and for poor Tiny, wholost another one of hisspecial ladies.

You should cuddle some of those fluffy little babies to help dry your tears and cheer you up.

Lots of love,:hug2:

Haley

I'm sorry Peg I lost my lionhead yesterday itsawful i agree with you it is hard when you are a breeder there isalways some of the bunnies that are more special to you though none areever not loved and its testament to a breeder that they care so muchabout their buns. Floyd went pretty much the same way but i was on theway to the vets with him he was so small and he had no fat reserves onhim it was the same as bunnylady he went to the vets on sat and theythought it was respiritory I cried all the way through town and all theway home.

I'm so sorry binky free Booberry

:rainbow:

Latest posts

Back