Bonding?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

June

Reaction score
Hi, everyone!

Have had a new bunny for two and a half week's now. He is a one year old, fully neutered male, and litter box trained. All seems to be going well, although I do have a question about bonding.

When I got the little guy, (his name is Sisyphus) he was content to let me pick him up and hold and pet him for up to 20 minutes. He suddenly decided that he didn't want to be picked up. I realize that rabbits aren't fond of being picked up and petted, but the Rabbitry where I got him told me that he was among the bunnies they had that did like being picked up. So like I said, he initially would let me pick him up and hold him, but then stopped.

I have him in a large pen in my family room, and upon consulting with one of the women at the Rabbitry, she told me to go over the surface of the carpet in his pen with vinegar, as previously I had had a puppy who had occasional accidents on the carpet, and her feeling was that the bunny was reacting to the residual scent of the puppy. Initially going over the surface of the carpet worked fine: He would let me pick him up and hold, pet him for up to 15, 20 minutes at a time. However, that has since changed, and he no longer is receptive to being picked up and petted. Am therefore confused as to what changed! I have since had the entire carpet professionally deep cleaned, so all scent of the prior puppy is gone. However, he still does not want to be picked up and held/petted.

He has, within two week's time, given me "bunny kisses" four times, and will readily approach me and has hopped up on top of my back. So he is clearly adjusting to being here, and to me.

But am asking for help/advice as to why he would suddenly not want to be picked up/held/petted, as he was fine with my doing so before....

Thanks in advance to anyone who responds, and can give me "words of wisdom" and help! Greatly appreciated!

~June;)

Honestly, I'd say he might be getting comfortable in his new home and showing his true personality. When we adopted Steve, the shelter said "oh! He is so easy to take in and out of his enclosure and loves being held!" Haha no. He was unsure and hates slippery floors, and even now when he is in a new place he jumps in my arms and stays there (ie at the vet). Otherwise you just can't pick Steve up very easily. But when he has four on the floor he is so loving and sweet. Same with Cali. When we brought her home she was on her best behaviour and so chilled and easygoing. Once she got comfortable she became the naughty skittish terror she really is.

I agree with stevesmum :)

Also with one of my buns I noticed that if I talked loud or made a sudden movement he was scared... Maybe try talking softer and not making sudden movements (if you do)

I have also seen some of my buns are good little bucks and does until I sell them and they turn out to be naughty as because the new owner
1-do the same thing as me (eg.cage setup, food etc..)
2-new smells
3-because they got comfortable there
4-because the new owner bad tough kids

Do you do/have any of them?

Another potential factor is *when* you are attempting to pick him up. Bunnies are moody little critters and they absolutely have times when they just do not want to be bothered. It could be that you haven't yet learned to pick up on his body language that lets you know whether or not he is receptive, at that moment, to receiving affection.

Even the most affectionate bunny will have certain times when he won't want affection. So some of the apparently conflicting signals you are receiving may simply be the result of not accurately reading his body language.

This site will give you some pointers on bunny body language:

http://language.rabbitspeak.com/

I keep telling people (friends and family) that when they pick Baron up the licking is just a bribe to put him down. If he wants or needs attention he comes to me. So long story short, it could be this simple;

https://youtu.be/ZZIQXV4ojUA

:D

I agree with stevesmum :)

Also with one of my buns I noticed that if I talked loud or made a sudden movement he was scared... Maybe try talking softer and not making sudden movements (if you do)

I have also seen some of my buns are good little bucks and does until I sell them and they turn out to be naughty as because the new owner
1-do the same thing as me (eg.cage setup, food etc..)
2-new smells
3-because they got comfortable there
4-because the new owner bad tough kids

Do you do/have any of them?
No children here, just me. There are no doubt new smells for the little guy, as it's a whole new environment....Nonetheless, he certainly seems comfortable here, just doesn't like being picked up anymore. :(

Sorry you have probably answered this but how old is he? If he's 4 or 5 mths then he could be going through a hormonal stage, I would ask the breeder what his parents are like and what they act like as this could have an effect on him (could be starting to act like them) you could also wear something (perfume or something) he doesn't like or smell like a predator and this is why he lets you hold him sometimes and other times not :)

Sorry you have probably answered this but how old is he? If he's 4 or 5 mths then he could be going through a hormonal stage, I would ask the breeder what his parents are like and what they act like as this could have an effect on him (could be starting to act like them) you could also wear something (perfume or something) he doesn't like or smell like a predator and this is why he lets you hold him sometimes and other times not :)

Hi, and thanks for your response!

He is one year's old.

I am utterly confounded (and frustrated) over the fact that he will no longer let me hold him at all. :( I tried twice yesterday, and he clearly did not wish to be held and petted. I just can't understand why initially it wasn't a problem, but now it is....I was told at the Rabbitry where I got him that he was one of the bunnies that did like being picked up and petted, so I don't know what has changed.... :(

Have you looked at the rabbitspeak site to rule out that it might have more to do with his mood during particular times during the day?

If it's any consolation, neither of my rabbits will allow me to hold them. Only a few of my past rabbits did allow that.

A few possibilities.

He may just need a bit of time to settle in and once that happens he will be back to being cuddly. Sometimes it just takes a few days to weeks. Sometimes a rabbit can be really disturbed by a new environment with new sounds and smells, and this can cause changes of behavior that can take months to get past before the rabbit feels safe and comfortable again.

It also sometimes happens that a rabbit that is mostly in a smaller cage in it's previous home with little out of cage time, is more cuddly when it is taken out and held because that is one of the few times it gets to come out of its cage, so doesn't mind the cuddling. But when that rabbit goes to a new home where it gets more space and freedom, sometimes this can make the rabbit feel more independent and not want to be handled as much. In which case, you will just need to give affection to the rabbit on it's terms, which is usually with four paws on the ground and only when they feel like it.

Another possibility is a health problem. A rabbits behavior can change when it is in pain and/or not feeling well. It might start obsessively digging or grooming. Or a once friendly rabbit can become stand offish or aggressive, or a normally stand offish rabbit can even become more cuddly. So anytime a rabbits normal behavior suddenly changes, this needs to be something that is considered and checked out if suspected.

A few possibilities.

He may just need a bit of time to settle in and once that happens he will be back to being cuddly. Sometimes it just takes a few days to weeks. Sometimes a rabbit can be really disturbed by a new environment with new sounds and smells, and this can cause changes of behavior that can take months to get past before the rabbit feels safe and comfortable again.

It also sometimes happens that a rabbit that is mostly in a smaller cage in it's previous home with little out of cage time, is more cuddly when it is taken out and held because that is one of the few times it gets to come out of its cage, so doesn't mind the cuddling. But when that rabbit goes to a new home where it gets more space and freedom, sometimes this can make the rabbit feel more independent and not want to be handled as much. In which case, you will just need to give affection to the rabbit on it's terms, which is usually with four paws on the ground and only when they feel like it.

Another possibility is a health problem. A rabbits behavior can change when it is in pain and/or not feeling well. It might start obsessively digging or grooming. Or a once friendly rabbit can become stand offish or aggressive, or a normally stand offish rabbit can even become more cuddly. So anytime a rabbits normal behavior suddenly changes, this needs to be something that is considered and checked out if suspected.

Thanks so much for your response!

He actually did let me pick him up and pet him for a while last night, so I am thinking that he wants things "on his terms" as you indicated. My feeling is that he is still in the midst of adjusting to being here, and to me, and that perhaps with time he will be more willing to be held and petted. I really don't know, as I've never had a rabbit before...He isn't aggressive at all, and he isn't digging, so that's good! I have only had him three weeks now, so his "normal behavior" seems to be that he is a content little guy, who will actually hop over to the side of the pen whenever I enter the room. I, of course, want to believe that he is doing that as he recognizes me, has begun to know me, and is greeting me! --But I really don't know! Having a rabbit isn't difficult, but "reading" them at times can be....

Latest posts

Back