Bonding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katherine at sacred stories

Reaction score
My two bunderground railroad bunnies arrived on Saturday and they are adorable. They, like all the bunnies, were amazingly unstressed by their long trip.

I had planned to keep them in separate cages in my "bunny room" for a while and then try to bond them. They both came out of their carriers and seemed right at home and comfortable with each other. They are neutered/spayed male and female. (Still deciding on new names for them.)

There was no aggression at all. There was some chasing but mostly they seemed to be enjoying exploring the space and stretching their legs. Lots of binkies. They even groomed each other and went to sleep next to each other under a table that is draped with sheets with baby blankets underneath (a favorite bunny place;) When I put them in their cages they got very stressed so I let them out and let them stay out for the night. I slept in the bunny room in case there were problems. All peaceful.

So they've been free to go in and out of the cages in the bunny room. Last night, the chasing and mounting (girl by boy) increased. I was worried that the girl was getting too tired, so I put them in their cages for the night. Again they seemed very unhappy to be in the cages. Today they've been out and there is less chasing and more grooming and they both seem comfortable. There is more grooming of the boy by the girl. I notice that when the boy stops chasing, the girl goes over to him.

Also, the two of them spend LONG periods of time sitting face-to-face, nose-to-nose, staring at each other. Sometimes they put their cheeks together and just sit there forever.

There is still no aggression. I'm just worried about them getting tired. I also want to make sure I'm not making a mistake by letting them have so much time together so soon.

I've read articles on bonding and everything I see seems normal and positive, just accellerated.

Any thoughts, experience would be appreciated!

Oh that is so cute! Honestly Panda and Bunnicula have been together since I got them. I put them in the carrier together in DE so they could ride in the same space until they got home, then they went right into a single enclosure. So far there has been a little humping and chasing, but no hair pulling or anything that makes me think they need more space.

I think you are better off just letting them stay together and observing. Sounds like they are well on their way to being fully bonded and seperateing them at night just stresses them out. As long as the girl has space to run if she needs to then I don't think there should be an issue. I can't wait to see pictures of them together!

Well, I continued to let Harvey and Halo (new names) free range together in the "bunny" room and things have become more and more peaceful and friendly. There are still times of chasing but Halo seems anxious if I try to separate her from Harvey so I continue to observe.

They're sleeping together most of the time now and sharing food very comfortably. There's lots of grooming and snuggling. Incredible to see.

I just observed something that I've never seen or read about. Halo was washing her face and Harvey was lying with his head down under her face. Halo started washing Harvey's face and head with her paws! At the same time, she was licking his head and face AND rubbing his face with her paws. Harvey looked like he was having an out of body experience--ecstatic.

So far, so good:)
:brownbunny:brownbunny

Latest posts

Back