Bonding with us

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnylove7782

Reaction score
Recently our rabbits are acting strange ..All of a sudden we notice them getting scared easily.Even when we approach them they go into hiding and then take some time to come near us ...Why are they doing this?

Earlier Ruby used to lick my hands whenever i go near it ..But nowadays she is so scared of me !! which is like strange !!

Has anyone faced this before ??

Plz advice..:?

Hi Bunnylove7782.

Really sorry to hear that your rabbits have started acting in this way. It sounds like something's scared them.

Rabbits are a prey animal, and it doesn't take a lot to frighten them. Can you give us some more details about their living accommodation etc?

Do they live outside? Is there any chance a dog, cat, fox or some other predator has been able to get close to where they live?

How about you yourself. Have you (or any members of your family), been handling dogs and therefore are carrying the scent of them on you?

What about children around the rabbits? Are there any instances where kids might have frightened them - not necessarily on purpose, but kids will be kids, after all. And once scared then rabbits can automatically begin to think that humans are a threat to them.

Try to put yourself into the mindset of your bunnies. They are effectively imprisoned in their housing, with no way of escaping should threats become apparent. Therefore if one thing frightens them, they immediately become wary of everyone around them.

Hope this might help a little, and if you can give any more info I'm sure others will also be along to advise.

Cheers,
Small Pet Select

We keep in the cage inside the house in the morn till evening when we return home.If the weather is fine then we leave them outside in the balcony,but again inside their cage .

We leave them free for 2-3 hrs after our return from work and then put them into their cage ..

One particular day due to cold weather we left them in their cage inside the house .Dat day the cleaning guys had come to clean the house acc to their schedule and they vaccum the floor.Our bunnies r dead scared of loud noises..By the time we were back home in the evng they looked so dull and scared.n they r same till now.

There r no children in our house.Rex n ruby r our children for now..N we have no other animals ..

so wonder why ?what happnd to them all of a sudden ..Earlier Ruby always used to lick my hand whenever i go near her .But now she is dead scared .:?:(

The cleaning guys are what I suspect caused the problem. Perhaps they teased the bunnies, as well as vacuuming. It may take Rexy & Ruby a while longer to settle down.

My boys are finally getting used to the vaccuum cleaner. I don't if it's teasing of the cleaners, but if they were never truly exposed to the noise of the vaccuum, that would definitely set them off. It did for my boys. They had to get used to the vaccuum since they live in my living room.

I'm finding once a rabbit is scared, it will take it a bit to come back to you. You didn't make them scared, but once they are scared, everything will scare them. It's just hardwired in them. They are low man on the food chain.

Spend time with them, talk to them, it will take some time, but you can get them over this. And have them back to the sweeties you once knew.

Good Luck.

K :)

Butter has been nervous around me lately, too. I recommend just sitting with them and giving them little snacks. Certainly has won Butter back over.

Also, when it comes to vacuuming, I move Butter to my bathroom, so she isn't around the loud noise directly. I think she prefers that.

Latest posts

Back