Bonding with my Bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uofmtingley

Reaction score
I have had my bunny now for about 17 days. I know she likes me because she comes to her condo door and greats me when I walk in the room to let her out for the day. If I sit on the floor sometimes she will walk up and begin to groom my feet. If I sit on the floor, and my legs are in the path of where she wants to go, she will crawl over them. If she happens to get something she is not supposed to have she will let me walk up to her and take it out of her mouth (it has always been hanging out. One morning I fell asleep on the floor and woke up to her crawling all over me.

But she WILL NOT let me pick her up and she will not crawl on me when I am awake. What can I do to get her to be comfortable getting picked up? What can I do to get her comfortable to snuggle with me and crawl into my lap?

A lot of bunnies don't like being picked up. It could take some time before she will let you. The big thing here is patience. It is clear from what you wrote that you are making progress. 17 days actually isn't that long. Some bunnies take months before they'll do what yours is already doing, so take comfort in that :)

Something I read on another board here, and worked with my bunny: Lay on the floor, awake of course, but very still. See what your bun does. Lay on the floor to watch tv or something, but ignore the bunny completely, even when she crawls on you. If she comes up real close you can try to give a nose rub or an ear scratch but don't try to pick her up just pet her gently and give her praise for allowing you to do so.

You can also offer treats, then she'll associate you with something yummy. You can rub her treats in your hand so they smell like you...although generally I'd suggest that for a bunny that's scared of you. However, it might make a difference here, maybe not. Won't harm anything to try.

Just be patient and let your bunny take her time. She'll come around. It might take a long time but she will. Look at how far you've come now. Just let her come to you on her own. She is already beginning to...that's positive!

Sarah

Some buns never like being picked up. I had Lumi for 3 years and she always hated it. Doesnt mean she didnt bond with, she bonded with me fine.

As for crawling on you while youre awake, sarah gave some great advice. Make a habit of laying down and watching tv or reading a book and just ignore her. Its only been 17 days, it takes time.

I've had Fiver for almost 2 months now and she still isn't sure about me. We will have great moments, such as her bunnyloafing beside me and running all over me, then she has days where she acts like I'm some sort of demon coming to eat her. I guess I'll follow what everyone else is saying and see how it goes. Good luck with your bunny!

You can train bunnies to accept being picked up for nail trims and things, but I don't know many who actually enjoy it. After a few years Otto is easy to pick up and doesn't struggle, but boy does he act offended once I put him back down. lol.

Neither of my bunnies sit in my lap either, unfortunately. I've worked on getting them to crawl into my lap by feeding them pellets and treats by hand, but they never stick around on my lap for cuddles - they much prefer to sit on the ground for cuddles. You can try hand feeding some pellets though and see if the desire for food would motivate her to jump on your lap.

I also can not pet her. When she comes up to me, she is fine as long as I do not move. The minute I move my had, she takes off running... Unless she is chewing on my carpet in which case it takes her a bit longer to run (that seems to be a very important task to her LOL). Thank you all, for your help. I will keep trying. I guess I needed to be reminded that 17 days is not really that long. It seems like forever in my world.

Just give her time then. You can try putting a favourite veggie or treat in your hand. Bunnies are funny creatures. Milo let me pet him and pick him up right away. Other bunnies take years, if ever, it varies that much. Stick to just getting down to her level and letting her sniff you and crawl on you, but ignore her when she does it. She will learn that you are 'safe' when awake, too. I know it feels like forever, but she's curious about you by the sounds of it!

Latest posts

Back