Bonding With My Bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SweetSassy

Reaction score
I'm a first time bunny owner. I adopted a Netherland dwarfa month ago. She's about 8 months old. How do I bond with my bunny so we have a close friendship? Sassy will let me hold her but after afew minutesshe will nip me or wiggle to get down. She has a big enclosure inside my homeand I let her run the living room everyday. She just runs from us when she's in the living room. She hides. She'll come out and do binkies, then hide again. I feel like I'm doing something wrong, even though I'm spoiling my bunny. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you, April

:mrsthumper:

Take it slow.. Some rabbits don't like to be held very much. Its important for you to form a good bond with her before you pick her up a lot. When she is out, go sit inside of her enclosure and let her come to you. Rabbits are very curious and it won't be long before she wants to check you out. Make sure you pet her a lot while she is on the ground, and talk softly to her as well. If she sits in your lap for a while, it might be good to offer her a treat to let her know you like this behavior. Hope this helps a little :)

p.s. I just got a netherland dwarf 2 months ago and we are really bonded already! :D

she sounds cute! when she's in the living room does she have her hutch or cage in there - so that she can go into 'her' space when ever she wants? everything will be very new for her and you are doing the right thing by taking it slow. sudden movements or loud noise may spook her until she's used to her new home.

she's telling you that she's had enough when she nips or wriggles free.

and you arent doing anything wrong! quite the opposite:biggrin2:all bunnies are different.

donna:brownbunny

yes. I leave her enclosure open cause she'll go in there and use the bathroom. I love when she does that. She's potty trained really well. I just lay on thefloor near her enclosure. Sometimes she'll just walk rightby me. I always hope she'll just jump on my belly. lol. I do have 2 little kids,and I think it makes it harder for her to come up to me when there around. I think I'm gonna try to spend time with her too when the kids fall asleep. She's not scared of the kids when she's in her enclosure. She ignores them.This Saturday I'm adopting another bunny. Afriend for Sassy. It might be her sister if they canstill get along :)

:thanks:

Benny always jumps on my belly or back if I lay on the floor. :) Its good that she is really potty trained. It might be a good idea to bond after the kids have slept, just because its a new home and the new sights and sounds can be scary! Good luck!!

Thanks for the link..... it was very helpful :biggrin2:. Sorry about your buns, snap. I know it's not funny but the way you wrote it, i almost had to laugh. Good luck.

:apollo:April

Latest posts

Back