Bonding with my bunny ???

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
How can I get my bunny used to me and trust me? I have had her for 2 mths I think (I haven't done the math) She was 7 wks when I got her. I let her out of her cage for a while every evening. Sometimes she comes to me, but most of the time she runs away.:runningrabbit: She never lets me touch her. I just wonder if she will ever let me pet her and stuff. When I pick her up she just claws and tries to get away. Much like a wild kitty. I haven't had claw marks on me like thissince I was little. Her little heart just races. I want so badly to be able to pet her and stuff. Please help me bond with Lola.:pet:

Sorry you've not gotten a response yet.

I would say, it can take months! Depending on if a bun was in a shelter/rescue, obviously, your's wasn't (shounds like you got from a breeder going by the age you got her?). But, a change in environment can have an effect on a bun. They get scared and unsure. Best thing to do is to lsir or ay on the floor with them during playtime, let them come to you on their terms, that earns trust. See how it goes from there. It should slowly improve.:)

I hope it gets better for you, I know how it makes you feel. I've had some stand offish buns as well, well, they all have been to an extent, hee. But, they come around, some more than others.;)

You could also try luring them in with treats, hee hee.

Feel for your situation, but need some more info.. Where did you get Lola from? Breeder or rescue? How old his she and is she fixed? Where does she live with you in a small cage or bedroom or NIC pen? Does she have a schedule where you feed her the same time each day and give her treats at the sametime?

So MANY things can make up the personality of a "timid" bun, that you have to observe EVERYTHING.

I know the ONE thing that makes a difference is to "hand-feed" treats to the bun at the sametime each day so that they get used to you (such as Craizins, Carrots, banana chips) and the best is just to let them out in a small area with you where you lie on the floor and let them come to you to sniff you out..

Hope this helps and check out the library section where there is posts about this very subject.. Good luck!

I would say, it can take months! Depending on if a bun was in a shelter/rescue, obviously, your's wasn't (shounds like you got from a breeder going by the age you got her?). But, a change in environment can have an effect on a bun. They get scared and unsure.
Okay, well that makes me feel better. I have never had a bunny before so I wasn't sure if it would just always be like this or not.

Feel for your situation, but need some more info.. Where did you get Lola from? Breeder or rescue? How old his she and is she fixed? Where does she live with you in a small cage or bedroom or NIC pen? Does she have a schedule where you feed her the same time each day and give her treats at the sametime?

I got Lola from a friend of a friend who had bred some (not sure if she does it all the time). She is around 3mths old. No she is not fixed. She lives in a small cage for now. It isn't too small, but it doesn't compare to some of the ones on here. Yes she does have a feeding schedule and I do normally give her treats around the same time each day.

Thanks for the info guys, I will go check out the library. I really just wanted to know what to expect. It made me sad to think that she would always be skiddish, but I guess that is still a probability, at least I know there is a chance she will get used to me.

I'm going through the samething youare with my Sammy. He was a rescue from Petco. Not much on his background other than he is around 6 months old and had to be given up due to having to many animals already. I'm guessing Animal control was involved.

Anyway, Sammy is very stand offish; he has jumped up on Dana and I but will jump back down if we try to pet him. He won't take anything fed by hand so I just put it where he can get it. I do spend alot of time on the floor with him and also give him one on one time without Zamboni and the ferts out.

Some day I hope he will come around. I actually thought he was starting to because about a week or so ago I got a kiss by him while he was in his cage. I asked him for another one on my nose and the little bugger nipped me.LOL I couldn't figureout if I should have been offended, mad, or just happy that I did get the kiss. With my luck the kiss was ment to be a nip and he just rectified his mistake in the matter.LOL

Good luck with yours and keep your fingers crossed for mine.

Tort, I read over in the Library about bonding with your bunny. There is an article that was exactly what I needed to read. Today I had her out for a long time I was laying on the living room floor watching tv and she would hop around me then she started checking me out. I held still and at one point she came right up to my nose and licked it lol! :D I'm not sure if I got a kiss or narrowly escaped being bitten lol, either way it was cute and she hopped away quickly afterwards. I honestly didn't know what to do or what to expect as I haven't ever had a bunny before, but I can tell by today that we will become fast friends now that I understand her more! I hope that Sammy becomes a more trusting of you!

I got Ash to "like" me by feeding him little apple cubes. Every time I came into the room where his cage is/my bedroom, I gave him a little piece of apple. At first he wouldn't take it from my hands, but now he does. He also is a lot better about my picking him up to put him on my bed (He knows he gets treats on my bed) and has eve came over to me and jumped onto me a few times now! just be patient.

I have a bunny that doesn't like to be touched either. Got him from a breeder when he was 12 weeks old and have had him for a little over a year. I'll tell you one method that's been working for me recently. I get down to his level daily and pet him a few times. The first week I could only get in one or two pets before he'd hop away, so I'd take a break and go back to him 10 minutes later to pet him again.

Over the past month or so, he's gotten used to it and I can pet him more each day. Although if I put my hand in front of his face (bunnies will often groom your hand if you do this), he will angrily shove me out of the way :p

I find that if I lie on the floor, my bunnies like me a lot better.

Mine also get a treat every night before we go to bed. They're come to expect it and, I'd say, they've trained us.

I have had my bunny's for about 3 months now and i adopted them from the RSPCA. One of them has settled down and is used to me and licks me but the other one is still getting used to me, so just give it time and they will soon get used to you, besides your rabbit is still young so you have plenty of time to bond.

From

Bunny4me

Latest posts

Back