Bonding two female rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlyFlops

Reaction score
Okay. I'm looking for some fresh ideas. My boyfriend and I got a new rabbit about a month ago named Fuzzy. We already had a rabbit named Floppers for years. Floppers is 2 and Fuzzy is 1. When we first brought Fuzzy home Floppers was very curious and wanted to go up to and smell Fuzzy but when she did Fuzzy attacked her. I stopped it right away, of course. Ever since then, every chance I have, I let them out together with me in the middle for about 15 minutes each time. Last time was the most progress because I let them out and gave them treats and Fuzzy did not attack Floppers until she realized there were no more treats. I think this is a good sign that it could work out with them eventually. But now, Floppers has been marking her territory everywhere in their play area. I have started to move Fuzzy's cage away from the bunny area when Floppers plays and Floppers no longer marks her territory when the cage is moved. At night I put their cages together and I make sure their food bowls are facing each other so they can eat together because I know that is a good way for them to bond. I have heard ideas like to put them in a bath tub but the problem with that is my bathroom is only a toilet and a tub and there really isn't any room to bond bunnies in. I have also heard to take them in the car but this worries me because I am afraid they can get loose. Do any of you have any ideas BESIDES SPAYING. I have discussed spaying with my vet over and over and over again and she keeps reassuring me that spaying is not necessary when bonding bunnies. I DO NOT want to alter my rabbits and have been given a hard time over that. If you say anything that has to do with spaying I have heard it all before so I don't need to hear it again. I need new and fresh ideas so who has some? :biggrin:

Its possible!!! my girls, Charlie and Chloe (the two in my profile picture) were bonded in about a month and are happy and healthy best buns.

We introduced them on neutral territory, in our laundry. we had split it in half with a barrier that they could smell each other through it, but not nip or scratch. We did short or long (depending on progress) bonding sessions everyday and always tried to end on a good note.

We put lots of distractions on each of their sides, with grass and hay to nibble.
Also two small bowls of pellets on either side of the barrier. this way they could get used to each others company, smell and eating around each other. We swapped them around everyday.

If they were both settled and calm, we took away the barrier but made sure their were plenty of escape routes if any chasing or dominating began. Unless any actual fighting happened, we gave them grass to nibble together to distract them. Then i would end it there. If they had tussles, i would clap or sprinkle water on them so that they started grooming themselves, which is a good thing in bunny language.

Anyway, dates weren't always like that they often varied a lot. But Charlie and Chloe just sorted out who was boss and soon i could trust them enough to leave them alone for short periods of time. eventually with patiance, i left them in the laundry over night fr a few nights. they were pretty much bonded after that, so i put the cage they were both going to live in with the, laundry and let them get used hopping in and out of the cage and being around it together.

I never took them for car rides or bath tub dates, i think in a small area they would be more likely to fight.

sorry for the long story, just hope it describes everything cleary enough, and im wondering if it could work for you?? they should bond unless they are both dominant personalitties....?? there is hope, just be prepared to be patient ;)

Thank you for responding! We tried to let them out together earlier and Floppers would not come out of her cage. It's either because she was scared or because it's too early for her to play. We are going to try again in a few hours. We let them out in our bedroom. We are trying 2-3 times a day this weekend. Hopefully after this weekend they will be better together. Hopefully!

Back