Bonding trouble

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nala

Reaction score
I need help with bonding my 2 female rabbits. When I first got the new rabbit I tried bonding them in a bathtub, in a small space, in a big space, long and short bonding sessions. None of them seemed to be making any progress. The rabbits were only fighting. There was no chasing, humping, or nipping. I got so frustrated that I stoped trying to bond them and just had them living next to each other. I’ve had had their cages next to each other for almost 8 weeks. I would like to bond them but I need advise.

They are both spayed and one is 3 and the other is 4

How do they behave toward each other when they are in separate cages near each other?
How long have you had the 2nd one?

It's possible they may have gotten used to each other over these 8 weeks. But it is also possible they just don't like each other -- it happens. That's why I'm curious how they behave now.

If you do try to bond them, do you have any neutral space left (where neither rabbit has been before)?

I’ve had the 2nd rabbit for almost 3 months months. For the cage I have one big cage that I split down the middle. They will occasionally claw at each through the bars, but only when I let one out and the other one has to stay in. Otherwise they ignore each other. I have other rooms where neither of them have been.

Today I put them in a carrier and pulled them around with a wagon for 10 min then put them in a pen together for 5 min. It went pretty well they only nipped each other a few times. I flicked some water on them as well when they were showing signs of being aggressive aggressive. Because it went well in the morning I did the same thing agin this evening. They had a small squabble in the pen but that was about it. I was thinking of continuing doing the stress bonding before putting them in the pen together. Dose it sound like a good way to bond them?

I thought that the bonding was going well but I just don’t know anymore

The 2nd rabbit Nala stoped eating a couple days after I started bonding them again. I got her eating again, but don’t know what caused her to stop eating. I Guessed that the bonding was too stressful, so I only did one bonding session a day and only 10 min in the bathroom. It slowly started improving so today i thought that i would give them a wagon ride. When I put them on they had a few nips before I stoped them. As I was pulling the wagon they started fighting, so I put a dustpan beside them and brought them back to the house. I then put them in my bathroom (the floor is slippery) for about 10 min. The rabbits started to fight so I separated them with the dustpan, but other wise they ignored each other

I have done so much research on how to bond rabbits but nothing seams to be helping me. What are your suggestions?

I will offer my opinion but please know that there are different opinions when it comes to bonding methods.

With 2 rabbits that are having difficulty in getting along, it is my opinion that "stress bonding" is useless because it is only temporary. It lulls us into thinking they are getting along but once the stress is removed, they remember that they don't like each other. Stress bonding may (I'm being generous here) may help with bonding rabbits that are already inclined to bond. I have yet to see it work for rabbits that are being difficult.

From your description, the 8 weeks side by side was not too helpful since they still tried to go after each other through the bars during that time. Don't get me wrong. That is a method that is often quite helpful in bonding. It just so happens that these two rabbits weren't being cooperative. Not your fault -- just their personalities.

Then when you attempted to get more serious with the bonding, they still insisted on fighting. In a case like this, it might be best to separate them into two different areas where they can completely forget about each other. They would need to be out of sight and out of smell of each other. If they are kept totally apart for several weeks, then maybe - just maybe - they won't remember each other when they are put together again for a bonding session. It may work, it may not. But clearly, the usual side-by-side method didn't work for them.

Separating them for a good length of time and then introducing them anew might give them a last chance to bond.

I'm afraid, though, that there is a possibility that these two are destined not to bond. It does happen. :(

Yeah I came to that conclusion to... thank you for your help

Latest posts

Back