Bonding too soon? Opinions?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YukonDaisy

Reaction score
Ok, I finally bit the bullet and made our first attempt at bonding. Just so you know, I'm a big chicken about the whole thing. The buns have been living beside each other for two weeks now. They still have the odd skirmish, mostly while Ookpik is out and Newt is in his pen. But they're become less and less severe, now they can actually sniff noses and Ookpik lays against his pen, but jumps up if he comes near her.

So I sectioned off part of the kitchen and put them together. At first they ignored each other. Then they started the butt nipping and chasing and there was some boxing.

Here's a video of that:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USls7ClfWJo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USls7ClfWJo[/ame]

After I turned the camera off, I sat in the pen with them and stroked theirs heads and fed them raisins. They were good then.
But when I stood up to get the raisins, a fight broke out again, I used a broom to put between them. But as long as I was sitting with them, they ignored each other.
Talk about stress!

So am I on the right tract? Was it too soon? Should I try the holding them together side by side? I don't have a washer/dryer or a vehicle to use to stress them out in, otherwise I'd be doing that too.

Also, I read that if a rabbit's been taken fromit's litter earlyand then alone for a long period of time, they don't know how to speak rabbit andtherefor not know how to communicate with other rabbits. But they eventually learn howonce exposed toother rabbits. Do you think that's possible? I've seen Newt present himself to Pik for grooming numerous times, but all she knows to do is box and nip.

Thanks for any help, opinions and replies!

~Diana

They're aggressive but not terribly bad for a first meeting. If they behave better while you are in there with them, then by all means stay in. Even if they don't go near each other while you're there they will get used to each other's presence. Holding them side by side on your lap can help too.

Maybe you can have a friend take you and the buns on a few car rides? I also find that switching their cages every few days helps too, especially when you are getting closer to letting them live together and you want to break up their sense of territory.

About rabbits not knowing how to speak rabbit, it really depends on the individual. I always hear these stories about older rescue rabbits that fall in love with another bun right away, grooming and snuggling. But they're not all like that. My Loki had to be convinced that Mocha was worth his attention as he really wasn't interested at all. What changed it for him was that she would snuggle with him and groom him while I was rubbing his nose. Oberon was initially terrified of Fey and Sprite and his only "communication" to them was nips. He's now much better but still a bit pushy.

I think you are on the right track. Sit with them, hold them together and pet them, take them for a car ride or two. Get them more used to seeing each other without a fence in between. You're doing great so far!

Ok cool, thanks! I'll try to get them on a car ride, but you know how non rabbit people are, they just don't get it. Their fights looked pretty bad, but neither of them are hurt, so that's good. I think I'll do this every second day with a car ride in between, if I can get some one to drive us. The dogs are going to be cheesed off when the rabbits go for rides and they don't, but oh well. lol

HA! did you see how they are both trying to put their head under the other to be groomed?! They are trying to establish dominance - too cute!

They did better than Bo and Clover the last time they were together. We had bunnies spinning on their sides - like yinyang - both had a butt in their teeth! :shock:

I don't have any help for you, but just wanted to say that your bunnies are adorable! I love their ears. What cutie pies. Good luck!!

The car ride thing works really well especially if you put them in together....you could also try turning on the vacum to get them close to each other....keep trying, i know it took us a while to get our pair working together....just keep at it day by day.

We found switching cages worked really well, because they got used to each others scent.....Good luck! Your buns are soo adorable btw :)

Ah! Look at all these replies! I didn't see them until now.

Thanks for all the comments! I have no updates, things are pretty much the same between them. I'm taking it slower, I didn't think we were ready yet. Mostly because I'm so inexperienced. I haven't put them together again, I thought it'd be best to wait until Ookpik quits trying to kill Newt through the bars, lol. I'm still doing a lot of reading and will keep you guys updated!

~Diana

I'd just go ahead and continue bonding. All rabbits are different, but of the three successful bondings I've done now the rabbits never stopped fighting through cage bars until they lived with each other. Wierdos.

I found success in the past with keeping cages side-by-side and doing the cage-switcheroo, too. Then when they finally were together, the buns would have less of a sense of personal territory. That is my first plan of action with Gingivere and Capt. Snow once he's healed from the neuter.

My next step will be car rides and intros in the bathroom - places where the bunnies have no particular territory claims.

Then I plan to build a NIC pen that neither visits until they are there together. That will become their permanent together home if things work out.

I look forward to updates on the bonding of Ookpik and Newt.

-Mary Ellen

Latest posts

Back