Bonding three rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I have recently purchased a lion head rabbit and I would like her to live in the hutch with the other rabbits. The other two are flemish giant sisters and get along really well. However, when I tried to introduce them the two flemish giants (Pheobe and Rosa) were constantly chasing the lion head (Stella) and trying to flip her over. I know that rabbits can be very vulnerable on their backs so I separated them immediately. Is there a way that I can bond them and eventually let them live together?

Females are notoriously territorial. However it is rather unusual for such young rabbits (6 weeks?) to not accept another rabbit. Typically (but not always) all baby rabbits get along.

There are a couple problems/difficulties with what you are trying to accomplish. First and foremost is that all the rabbits are young. This is not the time for bonding. As mentioned, most baby rabbits get along, but this is not being bonded. As soon as hormones kick in, all of that changes. If you only had the two sister Flemish rabbits, there is a real possibility that even they would have a falling out with the onset of hormones. So, in short, baby "bonds" don't count as true bonds and are not any indication of whether or not they will bond in the future.

What is the age and neuter status of the Lionhead?

The second difficulty with a trio is that rabbits arguably do best in bonded pairs. But if one really wants to have a trio, that is best attempted when 3 rabbits are already all fixed (and healed) and all meet each other for the first time as stranger rabbits. That meeting should be in new (neutral) territory.

You are correct in keeping the Lionhead separate from the other two now since they are not getting along. It's possible (likely?) that she will continue to have to be kept separate. Perhaps, in time, she could be bonded with a different rabbit. If this happens (or even if she is kept single), the 2 Flemish should be housed in a totally separate area of the home. The presence of a 3rd rabbit (or pair) can negatively affect the bond of the 2 Flemish (and vice-versa). Rabbits don't like having non-bondmates anywhere near their territory.

Thank you for the advice. The Lionhead is five months old and I do not know her neuter status as I got her from a poultry show. I probobally should have asked but I didn't think of it at the time. It may not have been a good idea to get a rabbit from a poultry show in the first place but it was love at first sight lol. I was worried that they would have to be seperated forever but it is nice to have a second opinion. Thank you!

Your lionhead looks very interesting... More lionlike than I usually think. I would love to see more pictures of her.

She does have quite the mane haha. She's also extrordinarily calm. She sat in my lap the whole way home from the show. Here are some pictures.20201031_093832.jpg20201101_205530.jpg

Attachments

• 20201031_093832.jpg
    20201031_093832.jpg
    372.4 KB · Views: 2
  • image000000(2)~4.jpg
    image000000(2)~4.jpg
    280.7 KB · Views: 2
Your Lionhead is so pretty! BTW- I hadn't seen this thread yet, but I talked about bonding on your other thread. 🤦‍♀️

Latest posts

Back