Bonding session tomorrow

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amy27

Task Force
Reaction score
I know there are like 100 bonding threads on here, and I have read them all. But I just really need to get this out. I can't talk to my friends or family, I stopped that months ago when they told me to put my buns together and they would work it out themselves.

This will be my 3rd time bonding Chase and Little Bunny. I have been saying I was going to do this since Feb. Last time I tried in Feb they got into a fight, no bites but lots of pulled fur and lots of circles while they nipped each other and it scared the crap out of me. I couldn't grab either of them because they were moving so fast. That pretty much scared me.

For those that don't know, the bunnies bond was broken when Chase had surgery again and the vet did not want me to keep them together until Chase's stitches were removed. At first, I think Chase was so busy getting medical treatment, she didn't have time to really miss the Little Bunny. Now that everything has slowed down she seems really lonely. I have tried giving her extra attention and playing with her more but she still seems sad. I think she misses the Little Bunny.

The House Rabbit Society has been awesome since Chase has been sick and I have looked to them for guidance and help several times. So I emailed a lady I have talked to several times. She is coming over tomorrow to help me rebond them. She doesn't have a lot of bonding experience but just having another person will help. I made a nice area in the garage where neither of them has ever been. I put cardboard, carpet, litter boxes, toys and hay in it. Everything is ready except me.

When I talked to the lady at the House Rabbit Society she is like when do you want me to come and I wanted to say lets schedule it for next year. I just sat there on the phone not saying anything. Poor lady probably thinks I am crazy. I just don't want to do this. Seriously, just thinking about it I am freaking out. I know I can't act like this tomorrow. I have to get myself together. I am trying to do this for the bunnies, I think they will be happier. Do you think I am doing the right thing?

I have read everything. I know what to watch for. I have supplies to stop a fight. I need to get myself together. I have done it twice before, I can do it again. Sorry this is so long. It felt good just to get it out. Please pray for a good day tomorrow. If it goes bad, I don't know if I will have the strength to try again.

Amy

You are going to hate me for saying this but don' do it until you feel better about it.

Ican identify a lot with your feelings of fear as I am afraid of bonding fighting also,
if the HRS lady comes over you still do not have to do a bonding session ; you can talk with her about your feelings about it.
if you do decide to go ahead just make the space small enough so you can either squirt a rabbit with a water bottle , throw a towel over a bun, or use a broom to separate them .
let us know
sorry I'm not more helpful :(
Maureen

I completely agree with Maureen.

If you don't feel ok with that, they will pick up on that, which will make it more likely to fail, and you will also have to go through a nightmare of stress watching them bond. When you feel as awful as you do about it, its not good for anyone.

Maybe you could start with basic things like swapping their cage contents? Swapping their cages? That's all part of the bonding process. How about having them run next to each other and seeing what happens? Also, car journeys are quite an unstressful way of helping them bond (although often the first one is scary).

If the lady comes, try to be honest with her. I have definitely found, when bonding rabbits for other people, that my presence helps. Not because I do anything they can't, but because if I am there and chatting and keeping the atmosphere light, then the owners relax more, and so the rabbits relax more and it's often more successful because of that. Hopefully this lady will be able to help you relax a bit and ease how you feel.

Please let us know what happens.

Thank you guys. You made me feel alot better if I decide not to do it. I felt like I was in the wrong and being selfish if I didn't do it.

I will talk to teh HRS lady when she comes. I really want to try and it see how it goes. They bunnies do get to run next to each other and the Little Bunny has stopped grunting as much and trying to get to Chase. I looked over the other day and it looked like they were trying to groom each other, though I find that hard to believe because the Little Bunny is so mean to Chase.

Chase has just been so depressed. I open the gate to let her out and she just sits there. She will sometimes come out for a little while but then she goes back in. She never use to be like that. I have tried giving her extra attention and play with her and she doesn't want any part of it. She was bonded to the Little Bunny for about 3-4 years. I think she is lonely all by herself. I work and go to school full time so I am busy. I tend to be an anxious nervous person, if you haven't gathered that already lol. And since Chase has gotten sick it has gotten 100 times worse with her. I am constantly worried about her. I think I am being irrational witht this. OUt of all the times I have bonded them they have never taken a chunk out of the other. I hope today isn't different. The HRS lady will be here in a half an hour. I will update you guys when she leaves. And thanks for not telling me I am crazy and to put on my big girl panties.

OMG it went amazing. I never would have imaged. I think it really helped to see how the HRS lady tried to keep them calm and from fighting. The technique she used worked really well. We didn't have to stop any fights, use the broom or the spray bottle. There was no chasing. The mean Little Bunny actually groomed Chase, a little harder then normal but Chase didn't seem to mind. I am so happy. The HRS lady wouldn't even take my money for gas. She was so sweet and I think I am going to join the HRS now.

Thank you guys SO much. I think I was lessed stressed just knowing it was okay to back out.

Amy27 wrote:
OMG it went amazing. I never would have imaged. I think it really helped to see how the HRS lady tried to keep them calm and from fighting. The technique she used worked really well. We didn't have to stop any fights, use the broom or the spray bottle. There was no chasing. The mean Little Bunny actually groomed Chase, a little harder then normal but Chase didn't seem to mind. I am so happy. The HRS lady wouldn't even take my money for gas. She was so sweet and I think I am going to join the HRS now.

Thank you guys SO much. I think I was lessed stressed just knowing it was okay to back out.
That's great Amy
it's amazing how it's easier to do something if you feel that you are not being pushed into it.

Yes it really does make a difference. After this now I am going to have to do it by myself. And keep doing it. No more making excuses and putting it off. I know if I can make myself do it once and it goes this good I will feel comfortable to do it by myself all the time.

It was cute Chase thumped a few times and I was like ahh Chase that is such a better way to handle your anger then biting.

I'm so glad it went well, and very impressed that you pushed thorugh your fear and went for it anyway.

Well done.

Yay that is great! You don't know me but I read this thread yesterday... It's great that it went well.

So what did the lady do that made it go so well from your point of view? what was her technique? how did she make them calm?

I haven't been around the forum much lately, so I just read this.
I'm glad things went well with Chase and the Little Bunny!

Sometimes it helps to have someone who has worked with bonding before. There are two women at my HRS group who are SO good at bonding. They are really good at reading the rabbit body language, and can tell exactly what needs to be done for the bunnies to get along.

Thanks BethM I am going to try again tonight by myself I hope it goes just as well.

Crystal,
One thing that really helped I think was having the bunnies in a place they had never been. The lady from the HRS also got right in the cage, as I did and I think that made them a little more nervous since they didn't know her. They stayed closer to me. She told me how she prefers the cage area to be set up. We had 2 litter boxes, the middle was full of hay, and lots of toys and things to distract them inside.

She sat on one side of the area and I sat on the other. It wasn't very big at all but that way someone was always near the bunnies. We would pet both of them where ever they were, they actually stayed pretty close to each other. We praised them a lot when the Little Bunny groomed Chase.

I have never been that organized or calm bonding them before. I also don't think I ever involved myself as much as I did this time. I think just having the lady from the HRS there really made a big difference. The few times the Little Bunny nipped Chase I would start to move my hand and she would say it is ok, lets see what they do. Her and I talked together and talked to the bunnies, it was just a very calm atmosphere. I think I put everything we did but if you have any questions Crystal let me know.

Ali, if you don't mind me asking what do you like about it? I am hoping that maybe you can give some of us a new perspective and maybe we won't hate it or be as nervous.

Flashy, I think you stated you like bonding too, do you mind sharing why you like it?

Any really good tips you guys have?

Amy27 wrote:
Ali, if you don't mind me asking what do you like about it? I am hoping that maybe you can give some of us a new perspective and maybe we won't hate it or be as nervous.

Nervous... I always am but when I see how happy my bonded buns are. Or seeing the joy in people's pictures of their bonded buns makes it worth it.

I try to look at it as bonding experience for me with the buns. Me learning their little personalities. Who likes to be groomed more. Who will eat first. Who will be the protector in the group.

I just try to find the silver lining.

Latest posts

Back