Bonding questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leopold_Ruby

Reaction score
I will be attempting to bond my rabbits once both are altered. So far my male Holland is neutered, and my female polish is 5 months old.
I have let them go on dates in the bathroom and all they do is take turns humping each other. Is this a good sign that they like each other?
Once Ruby is spayed, and they can spend time together with no fighting, how do you know you can place them together?
They have been together tonight for a few hours and still humping. Good thing my daughter is too young to ask questions!

Humping is a good sign. It means "I like you but I want you to know I'm in charge." I'm jealous! My two are fighting all the time, and I've been anxiously waiting for humping but there hasn't been any yet.

Like Tessie and Laura said, humping is good for bonds! It's a good sign too if they both seem to ignore each other and perhaps start grooming, because they don't feel threatened by the others' presence. Fighting is what you want to watch out for, since that can mean their bond is off to a weaker start, but doesn't necessarily mean they won't bond. A lot of bonds start mean!

I've 'pre-bonded' my neutered male and unspayed female rabbits fairly successfully. :) I consider them to get along well and they can play and live together without my supervision. Honestly, you can probably start letting them spend a bit more time together now!

I'll need to re-establish their bond after Clementine is spayed, but I hope that having spent so much time together prior to her spaying will make it an easy process. Fingers crossed!

Their cages have been side by side for months now. Yesterday they spent a few hours alone in the bathroom and they both humped each other (poor leo gets his hair 'gently' tugged out!) and hopped around to explore. Then back to continuous humping. No fighting though. They would also rest side by side. It appears to me that they like each other but i'm a newb.

Back