Bonding questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stargazerLily

Reaction score
I just finished up Orion and Galaxy's fifth bonding session (all have been around 30 minutes long). There hasn't been any fighting yet (knock on wood), and both are still cuddling up to each other. At this last one though, Galaxy started mounting Orion. I was ready to seperate them if there were problems, but Orion just sat there and let him do it. This happened a few more times during the bonding session, but that was the only "aggression" I saw from either one. After each time Galaxy would mount Orion, they would have a mutual grooming session.

Do you think it's too soon to start putting them together in the same cage/playpen unsupervised for short periods of time, while I'm still in earshot? Or should I wait a few more bonding sessions? I'm sure it's too soon to think about them sharing the same cage while I'm not home, but if things keep up like this, does it sound like it won't take long at all? I'm really not trying to rush things, just have never done this before.

No no, that is a good thing. It means they have established who is dominant and since Orion seems fine with it, that will make Galaxy happy. Wiggles does it to Bam-Bam all the time and they share a cage. As long as there is no biting, growling, etc., it isn't aggression.

I think it might be good to give them a few minutes on their own. That way you will see how they are really getting along. Make sure that you are closeby (as in very closeby :p) because as loveable and cuddly as they can be, they can also be vicious creatures. Lol.

It sounds like it's going well though :biggrin2:

Yes, both Orion and Galaxy are neutered (Orion since December and Galaxy since March).

I gave them free reign of my bedroom this afternoon, while I sat on the bed and kind of watched from a distance, but still close to seperate if necessary, and it seemed like a contest to see who could hump each other the most times. First Orion would do Galaxy, then Galaxy would do Orion, each time followed by grooming, and a few minutes of cuddle, then one would move and the process would start all over. Galaxy seems to be doing most of the humping though. I still haven't seen any aggressive behavior (like growling, stomping, a lot of chasing, etc), knock on wood, out of either of them, despite a few face humpings from each.

Latest posts

Back