bonding question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoofbeats23

Reaction score
I have two bunnies, the second one I've had for a month now. Bunny dates are going great in neutral territory and territory including both of their cages. They spend almost all day together, ( I haven't left them alone or over night yet) Hazel still has the occasion to mount Cadberry which cadberry will tolerate for a minute then scamper off, they do lots of grooming and nap together touching. Do you think Hazel will ever stop his need to mount every so often? When do you think they can be left overnight or permanently? This is my first time bonding so I really don't know what to expect. Thanks so much!:bunnydance::bunnydance:<--Hazel and Cadberry

update:

Yesterday I shut them both in the main cage for about 4 hours, they did really well!! It seems they like to go crazy when I first let them in together. (Hazel mounts, they both run around etc etc) and then they seem to get it out of their system and just snuggle and eat and groom. I think tomorrow I'll do all day (since I'll be home) and then if they are SUPER good all day I'll let them stay the night together. Also they have an EXTRA LARGE (st. bernard size) dog crate with hidey holes and platforms, so I think that if hazel REALLY bother's cadberry on some kind of mounting-spree he can get away if he needs too.

That sounds really quite promising.

If you have managed to leave them together for SUCH long periods of time, with the only dominant behaviour being mounting, that's absolutely brilliant.

As Cadberry doesn't seem to mind the mounting, and just scampers off after a while, this seems to suggest to me that a hierarchy has been or is being established.
Hazel seems to be the 'dominant' partner, and Cadberry seems to be the 'lower' bun, if you get my drift.
Rabbits often need hierarchy for bonding to work (not always, though). If you have two dominant rabbits, often it will just not work- one will mount the other, then a fight will break out, and neither one will back down.

Of course, this isn't always the case.

Keep putting them together, and leaving them for these long periods. Watch them closely still- it hasn't been that long.
Watch for any signs of aggressiveness etc.

I'm quite a cautious person, and I would keep giving these long bunny dates, perhaps even for the entire day if you are there, for perhaps another few weeks? If all goes well, and there are no fights etc. then I'd try moving them in together.

I'd definately give them at least a few more full days together before I'd leave them unsupervised, and if that all goes brilliantly, and you feel super confident, then trust your instincts and go for it.

Good luck! :)

Jen

Back