Bonding question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 35607

Reaction score
Hello, very happy to have found this great forum.

We rescued you loose female who was running around our neighborhood for months. Got her spayed and vaxed, she's doing great.

Finally got a male to bond with from HRS.

We've had two dates so far, he humps her which we know is normal but he's biting too - it appears he gets a little rough with her. She doesn't stop him but doesn't look real happy about it.

We stopped both dates fairly quickly - the biting was literally taking off a little of her fur. Is the biting normal?

We understand this will take time and we are willing to take all the time we need but we want to make sure he's not hurting her.

Since you got your rabbit from the HRS, I assume he is neutered and I assume you let them know your intention was to bond him with another fixed female. Do you know how recent his neuter was?

In the meantime, here is some further info on bonding:
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bonding-bunnies.html
He is neutered, I have no idea how long ago but we went through the classes with HRS for bonding and they know about it and saw our paperwork for our female.

Is the biting okay? He gets rough with her. She just submits but the biting worries us. Three dates now and it's just been the same.

The biting sounds like he's trying to mate with her (not just mount for dominance). That's why I wondered if his neuter was quite recent. They can remain hormonal for 6 weeks or so after surgery. Perhaps ask the HRS what their records show. If it has been less than 6 or 8 weeks then it may be better to wait a bit before proceeding. It would be worth discussing with the rescue. If it isn't due to the neuter being recent, then they can be a bit more hands on to assess his behavior.

The biting sounds like he's trying to mate with her (not just mount for dominance). That's why I wondered if his neuter was quite recent. They can remain hormonal for 6 weeks or so after surgery. Perhaps ask the HRS what their records show. If it has been less than 6 or 8 weeks then it may be better to wait a bit before proceeding. It would be worth discussing with the rescue. If it isn't due to the neuter being recent, then they can be a bit more hands on to assess his behavior.
Yes, I emailed them. It usually takes a few days to get a reply from them. I think he's been neutered for a while though. Thank you.

Latest posts

Back