Bonding progress - Litter box issues

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lyndym

Reaction score
My two have finally, FINALLY shown progress in their bonding, and I couldn't be happier. They're at the point where they can hang out nicely together in their ex pen for a few hours, during which they share their daily pellets and vegetables with no problems. However, once I introduce their brand new, to-be-shared litter box, things get a little more dramatic. My boy, Doc, does not like my girl, Rory, in the box with him. Things don't get overly violent, but he does give her a little nip when she tries to join him, and she promptly exits the box. Thankfully this hasn't turned her off the idea of using this box, she'll just take her own turn once he's done. When he notices her in there, he doesn't seem to mind, just as long as he's not in it! Otherwise, things are still looking great for them. Like I mentioned earlier, they share pellets and veggies with no problems, and they groom and snuggle together a fair amount. What can I do to help Doc be more inclined to share the box with Rory?

It's really common for litter boxes to cause issues during bonding. If territorial aggression occurs I would take the litter box out and retry later in the bonding process. I would also suggest having two litter boxes as that seemed to cause less issues for mine than one.

Last edited:
Great to hear about Rory and Doc again, I hadn´t seen them on here in a while. You could put two down but I do find that mine don´t like sharing the box at the same time and they´ve now got used to taking turns.

Would love to see a pic of them again, they are so cute.

Latest posts

Back