Bonding problem advice desperately needed please

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shelley smith

Reaction score
Hi
I have a female bunny Apple who is 1yrs and has been neutered, I wanted to get her a friend so we got Bear who is 12 weeks and not yet neutered but will be as soon as able.
The first time they met in neutral territory Apple attacked Bear and we got scared and separated them
They have lived in separate cages about a foot from each other for the last 3 weeks. And both come out separately for runs. Whenever we try to bond them together Apple attacks Bear and he tries to get away or sits very still in a corner away from her, He seems very scared of her now and she just seems to want to attack him.
Should I try stress bonding now or should I separate them completely and try again after they've forgotten the fights and he's been neutered.
Ive watched some videos on bonding about dominance and chasing but their fight is more her just boxing him
Please help as I have not idea where to go from here, Do I keep trying or separate them and wait?
Thanks so much for any replies
Shelley

Hi Shelley!

I do recommend complete separation until he is neutered and recovered (waiting about a month). Since he is not neutered, bonding with a female would be extremely difficult. Also, some say an unfixed rabbit brings out hormonal behaviors in a fixed rabbit, so these interactions can affect Apple potentially as well.

With bonding, bad things happen when things are rushed, and virtually everyone benefits when things are taken slow.

Agreed. No bonding attempts should happen until your boy has been fixed and has had ample time for hormones to fully dissipate (4-8 weeks after surgery). There is absolutely no benefit to attempting to bond them before then (but runs the risk of sabotaging future bond attempts).

In the meantime, give some consideration to where you will be able to bond them once he's ready. It should be a neutral space -- one in which neither rabbit has set foot.

Thanks guys, I have decided to wait until her gets spayed next week.
I spoke to my vet and she said to keep them in close proximity to each other still but wait for face to face bonding, What do you think????

Latest posts

Back