Bonding or just friends?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What should I do?

• Adopt her now

• Try it after she is spayed.

• Better let someone who really wants her adopted her

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction score
My husband (who has been firmly saying "no more animals") came home with a another rabbit for me! A co worker was "tired of cleaning up after her". She is actually a very pretty Dutch girl. She seems healthy, but is not spayed.

Thing is, I don't really want another rabbit! I've had Hershey since he was a baby and he's 4 yo now. He seems to be happy and we spend lots of time together. I don't want to share Hershey with another rabbit. I don't want to clean up after one. I like that I can just pick up Hershey and take him with me. That would be more difficult with two. Not to mention vet bills, etc. (DH doesn't actually know how much a rabbit vet visit is, I guess I have forgotten to mention it to him. hehe)

But I feel guilty. This is the first time Hershey has shown any positive interest in another rabbit. He has met a few and has always been aggressive toward them. Hershey and the new girl spent some time nose kissing through the cage yesterday, although today he is much less interested.

On yet another hand, she is already at Christine's Critter Cafe. She graciously agreed to take her, and I left her with the bunny and a more than enough check.She is going to get herspayed and she said I could take her back and try it for awhile and if I still don't want her, I can bring her back.

Do 2 rabbits need to be bonded in order to live cage-less in the same room? Can they live together as just friends? (Hershey is neutered.)

If they would be bonded, how much separation can they stand? Can I have Hershey upstairs with me and leave her downstairs? Can Hershey snuggle in bed w/ me and the girl be in a cage on the floor?

Would she just be better off with someone who *knows* they want her?

Sheesh. Thanks for listening to my venting/rambling. Any comments welcome!

It wouldn't be fair to the both of you if you keep her when your hearts not in it.
She'll probably feel left out since your bond with Hershey is so deep.

I would let someone ales adopt her. Right now I have three bonded bunnies and to be honest I regret it. I had one bunny for a few years and I liked it much more (she passed away). With these bunnies that I have now I do not have a bond, they only come running to me for food and otherwise ignore me, all I have is a lot of cleaning (they do look cute together but its not the same as having a bunny who loves you). One of these bunnies was very friendly when I first got her but then totally lost interest in people once she bonded with the other two. So if I were you I would stick with the one bunny.

awwwwe Deb....
You all if you EVER saw hershey with his Momma you would KNOW Deb, his Momma is his bonded mate....
And too, little BiancaKiwiBeamer is doing so great here and happy and guess what?
She was fixed today and is here in my arms being syringe fed and getting her pain meds and TOO!!! SHE HAS A NEW HOME ALREADY(!!) with Bella and Bernie:)) She will have an entire room for a "pen" withher 2 new friends.
When her new Momma comes home at 3PM from work the 3 get to run the entire downstairs and look out the slider to see birdies and other wilders and all the beauty of God's green great earth...
She is in good hands and will continue to be.
Homecheck and reference cks are done and I know her vet(as she is contracted with CCR's LIFE CARE Contract to use our vet which wk'd out great cuz she did already:))

SO...
No worries my good friend Deb and my precious little bunny Hershey:)) All is just fine...
Dont EVER hesitate to bring a bunny here, not ever...You know thats what I do:))Pete was right when he said "My wife will take her, and if she wont Christine will" heehee:))

YOU DID GOOD getting her outta there cuz she is going to paradise now:))This is such a great home:))
Love you Deb and Hershey babes:))

Back