Bonding New Rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jewel0504

Reaction score
Hello,
I am a new rabbit owner, but have been researching like crazy. I rescued my male white Lionhead lop mix back in December. I recently had him neutered, with the intention of getting him a friend later in the summer. However, a situation arose and a tiny little black bunny, I think a lion head dwarf mix but I’m not sure, was in need of rescue. So I stepped up my time frame and went and got her. She will be going on Thursday for an overall heath check, and spay if the vet finds her healthy enough. They are currently living in side by side enclosures, and seem to like each other well enough. There has been no aggression at all, even when enjoying free roam one at a time. I have been researching how to bond them. Which I don’t plan on doing until probably mid to late July so she has time to heal and lose some hormones. But, other than knowing they need neutral territory, I am a bit lost and was hoping for some advice. Also, Jack Frost and Athena are plopping next to each other and grooming each other through the enclosure when one is out. However, occasionally Jack thumps at her. Neither appear scared. Is he just annoyed that the enclosures between them or does that mean something else?
Thanks!

You are definitely doing everything right in terms of spaying and allowing them to see and acknowledge each other through cages. When introducing my male and female rabbits(who are very closely bonded now), I made sure they were supervised while I let them out together. At first (in my case the female) they may try to establish dominance by mounting or chasing th male. I wouldn't be concerned with this as it's just a process of establishing heirachy unless it gets too violent, but it in no way means they 'dislike' each other. After the rough first meetings of my female asserting her dominance, they eventually cozied up and couldn't stay away from each other. Every rabbit is different though, but your rabbits already seem to be grooming which can be a sign of affection. In my experiences of bonding my rabbits, I would definitely begin to introduce them outside of their cages first in neutral territory as you already know, then see how they react to each other before I did anything else. This process can take days, weeks or months before they become bonded.

Latest posts

Back