Bonding my rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apollo’s Slave

Reaction score
How do I know when Apollo wants a friend or is ready to be bonded?

I’ll give a little backstory first.

Apollo was surrendered in September because he was fighting with another rabbit and he scared his owners because of it. I think the RSPCA tried to bond him with another rabbit because they said he ‘didn’t get along with other rabbits’. When I adopted him, they did say that they would like to see him bonded in the future. He’s a really friendly rabbit (to humans at least!) and has never showed any sign of aggression. I have a giant lion stuffed toy, and I often see him licking it and cleaning it I guess. Which I heard was a sign that he likes it?

So, I’m just wondering, how will i know when he’s ready for a friend?

This is kind of just a question for now. I’m not looking at any rabbits to get. I had a short conversation with my mum about it earlier and she said that in a few months we’ll definitely be able to get another one (financially).
Thank you

Was Apollo already neutered when the old owners had him? If not that is probably why he was fighting.
Would you be getting a rabbit from the RSPCA? Taking Apollo "bunny dating" would be the best way to tell if he is ready. If he seems to really like a certain rabbit then maybe you should try it out, but make sure the rescue is okay with swapping out rabbits if the first bond does not work. That's cute that he is licking the lion stuffed animal, but it does not exactly mean that he will be good with another rabbit. The stuffed animal does not smell like a rabbit so he does not feel threatened by it.

Your lucky your parents will let you get another rabbit, my parents always shut it down. Probably because I have so many cats, lol.

Was Apollo already neutered when the old owners had him? If not that is probably why he was fighting. Would you be getting a rabbit from the RSPCA? Taking him "bunny dating" would be the best way to tell if he is ready. If he seems to really like a certain rabbit then maybe you should try it out, but make sure the rescue is okay with swapping out rabbits if the first bond does not work. That's cute that he is licking the lion stuffed animal, but it does not exactly mean that he will be good with another rabbit. The stuffed animal does not smell like a rabbit so he does not feel threatened by it.
Your lucky your parents will let you get another rabbit, my parents always shut it down. Probably because I have so many cats, lol.

I don’t know if he was neutered before he was surrendered but he was neutered when I adopted him. I’ll probably adopt the next one from the RSPCA, like I got Apollo. When he’s ready, I’ll definitely try out ‘Bunny dating’!
I’ve caught my mum in my animal-crazy clutches. She absolutely loves bunnies now! She’s particularly obsessed with Flemishes -aren’t we all!
I love cats now though! Well one cat in particular. My friend has a tuxedo cat called Ariel, and she’s really sweet. She meows a lot though. I was allergic to animals all of my life until I got rabbits, strangely!

Oh if only I could catch my mom! Theo is outside so she never sees him. The last time she saw him was 6 weeks ago when I took him to the vet. She could not believe how cute he was!
I was allergic to animals all of my life until I got rabbits, strangely!
It is quite common for people to be allergic to dogs and cats and not be allergic to rabbits. That is probably the reason some people have rabbits instead of dogs and cats.

Oh if only I could catch my mom! Theo is outside so she never sees him. The last time she saw him was 6 weeks ago when I took him to the vet. She could not believe how cute he was!

It is quite common for people to be allergic to dogs and cats and not be allergic to rabbits. That is probably the reason some people have rabbits instead of dogs and cats.

Could you ask them to move him into your room? She might begin to like him more?
Rabbits are ideal pets for most people.

Could you ask them to move him into your room? She might begin to like him more?
Rabbits are ideal pets for most people.
My parents are against inside animals:(, and my dad and brother are allergic to rabbits so they would never be able to come into my room (which would be a plus :p). My room is HUGE though and I totally have room for a rabbit, probably 4 rabbits! It is so big I have a couch, chair, and hammock in here.

My parents are against inside animals:(, and my dad and brother are allergic to rabbits so they would never be able to come into my room (which would be a plus :p). My room is HUGE though and I totally have room for a rabbit, probably 4 rabbits! It is so big I have a couch, chair, and hammock in here.
Woah! I can barely fit a desk in mine! Theo would probably love to be in there. My parents were against inside animals too but I somehow managed to manipulate them into it ;). Ask them to do a trial!

Woah! I can barely fit a desk in mine! Theo would probably love to be in there. My parents were against inside animals too but I somehow managed to manipulate them into it ;). Ask them to do a trial!
I might try a trial, but how to convince them to let me do a trial? They are very firm on the "no inside animal" rule, but I will try to sway them. The only reason we have 1 dog, 5 cats, and Theo is because I swayed them, lol.

Wow! We got off subject! :eek:

I might try a trial, but how to convince them to let me do a trial? They are very firm on the "no inside animal" rule, but I will try to sway them. The only reason we have 1 dog, 5 cats, and Theo is because I swayed them, lol.

It’ll be a lot easier if Theo is litter trained.

If I where to do it, I’d bring up a rabbit sort of conversation by talking about people who have rabbits inside- and i’d probably say something like -

‘Do you think we can let Theo inside? He can stay in my room, I’ll make sure it’s clean, it won’t smell, and we’ll both be really happy. Maybe we could test it out? Let him stay inside my room for a week and then you can decided if you are totally against the idea.’

Then if they say no, say ‘I understand that reason but’

If they say ‘fine, seven days’, say ‘thank you!’

Then during those seven day’s, you would need to find a solution to every problem that you encounter.

Room smells = Open your windows, change his litterbox, move your hay

He pees everywhere = Clean it up

He chews your furniture and carpet = Spray a deterrent, teach him not to

If it’s already worked for 7 animals, I’m sure you can make this work too!

I will try this, and it helps that my birthday is coming up! My room is really clean and organized most of the time so keeping my room clean will not be an issue. Some issues will be fur and the smell, which I can handle.

-Theo is already 100% litter trained, but he does like to chew carpet. The good news is I have the really ugly thin (not sure what you would call it) carpet that my parents already want to replace so it would not be horrible if he destroyed it. I also don't care about my furniture because it is all used. I have 3 cords in my room for lamps and a defuser, but I can rabbit-proof those. Chewing will not be an issue unless he chews my trim, then I will use the grids shelving (which I already have) to cover the walls.

-I have been trying to build him a run for the past year but it is going to be so expensive and my dad can't find time to build it so bringing Theo inside is a great option for getting out of that mess.

-It just so happens that I have everything he would need to be housed inside (I'm very prepared). I have a playpen for him that would work for the housing set up when he is not free-roaming. I have puzzle mats for the floor, a large new litter box, tons of new toys (in case they are ever needed), new food and water bowls. All his stuff besides his food and some toys are already in my room.

-My room has a little side area, almost like a closet, but it does not have doors. It is hardwood (but I would use puzzle mats to cover the hardwood because it is nice flooring) and would make a nice rabbit area because you can't see it when you walk in my room.

*Sorry for taking over your thread! I will start my own thread so people can focus on your question.

If you're thinking of getting another bunny, bonding may work and may not work. In case it doesn't work you'll want to have a separate area for that other bunny. Bunnies do have emotional memory and whatever happened before with the previous owner your bunny may remember. They may get along on a bunny date but when it comes to your rabbits turf it maybe different. Rabbits are territorial.

If you're thinking of getting another bunny, bonding may work and may not work. In case it doesn't work you'll want to have a separate area for that other bunny. Bunnies do have emotional memory and whatever happened before with the previous owner your bunny may remember. They may get along on a bunny date but when it comes to your rabbits turf it maybe different. Rabbits are territorial.

Thank you

Latest posts

Back