Bonding my Bunny!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glitzy

Reaction score
I currently have a 3 month old lionhead doe. Because everyone in my household works during the day I wanted to get her a companion but have heard horror stories when it comes to bonding bunnies. A friend of mine's bunny just had babies and I was going to adopt one. Should I get a boy or a girl? I was thinking a boy and then get him neutered but would leave my doe unspayed since it will be a horrendous amount to get them both fixed. Also I'm afraid of getting a new baby and my lionhead won't like them! What should I do?!

:energizerbunny:

It is hard to say. You could get one and they may not bond. I would say if you are okay if they don't bond and keeping them separate, get one.

The House Rabbit Society (they have chapters all over, you can google them to see if there is one by you). They will let you take a rabbit and if it doesn't work out, they will take the rabbit back, at least the chapter by me does. That may be a safer option if you can't keep two separate buns. They will even let you try different buns. So if the first doesn't work out, they will allow you to try another one. They will do bonding dates to see what bun you bunny does best with. The humane society I volunteer at will also do bonding dates, but they will not take the rabbit back if you get home and it doesn't work.

I do have to warn you though, I had a bonded pair for 4 years. One of mine got sick and they unbonded. At first I was able to bond them back together. Then the rabbit got sick again and they unbonded again. 2 years later, I have not been able to rebond them. I just think you always have to be aware that if you have a bonded pair, though it may be rare, there could come a time when you would have to let them live separately.

I wish you the best of luck. I really think my rabbits where happier bonded then living alone. However, I just haven't been able to get them to live together where I would feel safe leaving them a lone. I would have never thought they would become unbonded. They were always together.

I'd strongly suggest getting both bunnies fixed before trying to bond them. It can certainly work if just one bunny is fixed, but they'll probably bond much faster if they're both fixed - that way, the unfixed one won't just be worried about mating with the other rabbit.

I recently bonded my two bunnies. Although they can definitely do some terrible things to each other (my female rabbit even had to go to the vet after a fight), it really isn't too hard to bond most rabbits. You just have to have a lot of patience, and not get discouraged if they have a fight. If you can, I'd suggest letting your girl meet some neutered males before bringing one home. If you do just bring one home, be prepared to house them separately if they don't bond.

Back