Bonding Lopsy & Lulu has begun...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crystal

Reaction score
Lulu is 7 months old and was desexed 9 days ago. Lopsy is about 2 and is already desexed. I decided today was the day to start introducing them. the hutch is still being built so they are in temp accommodation... which works out okay for now, because I can put both the carriers wherever I want them. they have been in cages facing each other for a few hours now! they are about a foot apart. this might not sound big but it's something!

So far, they seem good. I can't tell if they look excited because they are interested in each other or because they are excited because they see me and I think I am going to let me out, or feed them etc. but they have been doing a lot of nose wiggling so I am hoping this is a good sign?

I know I need to have them near each other for a few days... I feel like I understand the big picture, but not the small details. what I am wondering is should I leave one of them in the room (in the cage) while I let the other one have exercise? or will the one in the cage be too jealous of the other one?

I'm certainly no expert on bonding but I don't think I would put one in the cage. That bunny may get jealous and upset when the other goes into it when they are bonded. Bunnies can be very territorial about their cages so that may end up causing you more problems.

Good luck with the bonding.

Susan
hase287.gif

oh something I said must have been worded badly... what I mean is, they are both in animal carriers for the time being. can one of them have exercise time in the lounge room while the other one is still in their carrier in the lounge room? or will the one that is still confined be jealous of the one that gets to hop around freely? does that make sense?

as for the cage/hutch my boyfriend is building a hutch but it is not finished yet... I would like to put both of them into the hutch at the same time, if the timing is right.

I let Lopsy have a hop around the lounge room while Lulu was still in one of the cages in the lounge room... (when I say cage here, I mean pet carrier, small spaces so I dont think they could hurt each other through the cage).

anyway for a while Lopsy was hopping around and seemed oblivious to Lulu's presence. I have read that indifference is a good first sign so I don't think this is a bad thing. Lulu in the cage was following him... if he went over one way she would be looking over in his direction. there was a pile of grass at the front of her cage that she was eating some of, and he would come over and eat grass in front of her as well. I like to think of this as their first date haha

after a while, Lopsy seemed to become more aware of Lulu... or stopped playing hard to get? and they were both sniffing each other, mum said it looked a bit like they were kissing. but then Lulu seemed like she was trying to dig her way out of the cage... I hope she wants to get out and play, not get out of bite him?

so do these sound like good signs?

I didn't want it to be too stressful (for them or me) so I've got them apart for a while now... I'm not sure if I trust them to have their roles reversed- him in the cage and her on the lose... should I try that? he is placid and she is a bit more lively and feisty.

I hope someone bothers to read all this and offers some advice. I want to know if I am doing the right thing and reading the signs right. I think it seems like they like each other... ?!?

Back