Bonding in a tub - is it large enough? Can they still circle each other?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tweetiepy

Reaction score
Yeah I know it's not a good thingfor them tocircle each other I'm trying tobond them but I want to make sure that I can read the signs properly in the tub. Hubby wants me to just let them loose in the yard when the snow melts and let them explore, but I have a groundhog under my shed (stupid thing) and I have gaps under my fence that I've blocked with 2x4s. I don't want to let them loose if they're not bonded cuz if they fight, I won't be able to catch them (they're both fixed male lionheads and they're super fast). It's been about 6 weeks since Popcorn was fixed and Peaches was fixed in September. Peaches is easygoing if Popcorn's not in his area but if I brush the fur off Popcorn's shelf & then try to brush Peaches's shelf, he charges, but he doesn't mind having Popcorn nearby & generally ignores him. Popcorn is still pretty cheeky and a fighter too - I think they left a testicle in he's that hormonal still.

Now back to my original question, when I put them in the tub to bond them with a neutral box filled with hay & goodies, could they attack each other right away or will they be more willing to explore the possibility of a friend? They've been next to each other since November, but no direct contact apart from smelling each other on whoever goes near them. I want to be able to read the signs if they're going to fight.

Peaches was outside last summer and marked a few of the plants but we got a lot of snow, so that may mask his odor, but could they be put together outside without bonding them or am I asking for trouble. Hubby who doesn't know bunnies wants to let them loose, and not bother with the bonding. He even wanted to put them in the same cage together just like that!

All you can do is try it and see how it goes. Each rabbit is different and you won't really know until you get them together. If they are going to fight it will probably happen rather quickly. The tails will go up, the ears down, they will start to circle then rip into each other. Happens really fast.

However keep in mind that they may be ok with each other in the beginning, going about their own business and making you think that everything is fine. Then all of a sudden they start fighting.

On the other hand they may get on wonderfully. You never can tell with rabbits. :p

I bonded my girls in the tub and it worked well. I liked that it was a slippery surface so if they started to tussle it was easy to get the apart before any damage. Be very careful about putting your hands between them though, I have a scar from a bite. You grab the buns in a fight and they think you are going to kill them so you end up bitten too.

Yep, breaking up fights is not fun, when they are fighting they blindly bite meaning they don't pay attention that it is YOU they are biting they are caught up in the moment, I have a pair of THICK heavy duty leather gloves that I have ready for this purpose when I try to bond, anyone else who wants to help I require they have shoes on their hands.

MIne tried to trick me today, I had Mocha in an exercise pen and had Oreo and little lady running around the house, well at first Mocha was grooming Oreo through the exercise pen bars being all nice and sweet, the next couple times Oreo went next to her she started biting him. Cases like that the water squirt bottle works good.

Back