Bonding Disaster and a Farewell

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kadish Tolesa

Reaction score

We did a trade with a mini-rex breeder and exchanged Gimbel for a lionhead doe. *note: they're not doing lionheads other than having bred the initial pair once, the mother ate up most of the litter. Now it's just mini-rex for them.

They're going to keep Gimbel's name the same ; and since we're moving Emily and the new one indoors for good, they need to be does. My husband is not happy with the cost of neutering and wants us to try and stick with girls. Yadda,yadda, yadda....

Today I attempted to introduce "Tigger"( she's 5 weeks old )and Em. What a mess. Em immediately lunged at Trigger and BIT her. Em is totally calm with the rest of us and loves to be petted and head-scratched. I grabbed Tigger and checked her for wounds, but she looked fine.

It's probably best to wait a while. In the meantime, Trigger is living in her own cage in my son's room.

I really don't know what's up with lionheads eating their young. The thought crossed my mind at the mini-rex breeder's ; that having outdoor hutches with a dog snapping at the bun's feet ; may not be conducive to good motherhood. The breeder's teen son said that if a bun gets out; the dog will eat it - - - but due to space limits, the buns could'nt be indoors. Having raised some Flemish giants ages ago; I know about outdoor hutches and their challenges ; but we didn't have any dogs. ( My sister's dog was forbidden to visit :rollseyes )

pic's soon.....

1826_271348_280000004.jpg

1826_271348_270000001.jpg

1826_271348_270000002.jpg

1826_271348_270000003.jpg

1826_271348_260000000.jpg

Have to add here that I attempted the bonding in a neutral area....does can be territorial. Or it may be the age difference.(?)

Any suggestions ? :lookaround :rollseyes

I would let Tigger grow up some more before you start introducing her to Em. ;) She's too little to meet an older rabbit, not to mention she's too young to be away from mom. ;)

I would hold off on any bonding until she's a bit older, and like Rue said, it will be tricky to get unspayed does to bond. ;)

Emily

Yes, you're right, Emily. I guess I took the bunnie because I felt a little sorry for her. She and her litter mates had been nursed by a min-rex doe after the cannibalism debacle. The mini-rex mom had nursed 3 of her own , plus the 3 surviving lionhead kits. I think the breeders were anxious to let the lionhead kits go as the mini-rex kits were still with their mom.

The breeder said she'd weaned the lionhead babies at about 4 weeks. I think as these breeders continue to breed/show they'll get more experienced at when to wean - - - longer time with mom means better developement for the babies. I did not tell her this as I felt she didn't want advice. ( She was friendly and seemed like she was confident about everything rabbit. Sometimes it is better to not say alot unless asked. I'm not sure how long she had been showing....Maybe I need to tell her about this forum ? I know she'd get good, useful advice ! :biggrin:)

Anyway, Tigger will probably always live in her own cage.....her playtimes will have to be with my son & me. Before I go , a small newsflash ! She actually got into her litter box to potty !!!!! So far, I haven't seen any potty anywhere in the floor of her cage. Whoohoo !

Your rabbit is adorable!

Also, in defense of lionheads I dont think it is common for them to eat their young. I'm not a breeder or anything, but I dont think thats a breed characteristic.

Tigger says " thanks for the compliments :)"

And no, I don't think lionheads are difficult moms...there are breeders who say they're actually good moms; with a bad doe being the exception. I'm wondering if the breeders know it's not a good idea to let a dog around a kindling bunny mom ?

There have been cases of people buying a bred doe for their rabbitry that ate her young in response to stress in the new enviroment. R.M. Lockley (?) has written an interesting book called " The Private Life of the Rabbit"; in which he describes the phenomenon of " re-absorbtion" of rabbit fetuses , again in response to stress, it's some kind of survival reaction. Someoneplease correct me if I got the title or author wrong.:p Bunnies are fascinating !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

p.s. Or is it Benjamin Lockley ???? Aaaaggghhh. Now I'm going to have to go look it up !

Latest posts

Back