Bonding Bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eve

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I was just wondering if anyone could kindly offer me some advice, as I am having some trouble with the bonding of my twofurr kids.

I have begun the bonding process with my buns Rodney and Layla about 6months ago. I holdmy bonding sessions daily in the back yard, and for quite a long time now both of my bunnies have gotten along extremely well. They follow each other, groom each other and snuggle in the sun when they are outside. They have never acted aggressively towards one another and have never bitten or pulled fur.

They both live in my bedroom, and their NIC condos have been next to eachother for months now. They obviously enjoy each others company as theysleepon the same cage levels, copy each others body language and groom through the cage bars.

I also take them out of their cages in my room daily and place them next to each other for group petting.

My problem is that although they seem to be great friends on neutral territory, I am having problems in getting them to get along in the non-neutral territory of my bedroom. This means that they have to taketurns in free-roaming, which is a shame as they could free-roam 24/7 if they were bonded.

The minute I stop petting them when they are both out of their cages in my bedroom, they start chasing each other madly in circles. After a bit of this I usually seperate them, as I get scared someone will get hurt.

I was just wondering what I should do next to try to get them to get along in my bedroom. (I already wipe the floors with vinegar to reduce smell related territorial issues when I let them both out.)

Should I just let them carry on with the chasing to sort out their dominance issues and see what happens? They just run around so quickly I am scared I won't be able to seperate themfast enough if they fight.

Thank you for taking the time to read my long post, any thoughts or comments would begreatly appreciated :)

What is your set-up like? Are theyallowed into each others cages? If so, I'd recommend keeping them closed. Also, is there anything to block their line of sight? Boxes, baskets, etc. Putting hay in them canbe an additional distraction and might encourage them to eat together. This really helped with bonding Fey and Sprite because it allowed them to go about their business without looking at each other if they so desired.

Another idea is to get them to be friends in a different area of thehouse where they can't see their cages. If nothing else isbunny proofed, you could set up a pen somewhere else, like the livingroom, and try that. It's possible that they think of eachother as "outdoor friends" right now.

I know some people recommend taking them for a ride in a car together. You'd need a second person to do the driving while you watch them. I've never done this though.

Good luck!:clover:

Also, you can try swapping cages - putting them in each other's cage at night - try to break up their "this space is my space" behavior. Or swap litters so they smell the other's scent in their area and start getting used to it.

Hi Naturestee! Thank you for always coming to my rescue as soon as I post a question, you have always been so wonderful! :kiss:

My bunnies have a 4 level NIC condo each, which are side by side.I always close their cages when they are both let out. The thing that confuses me is that when one bunny is caged and the other is free-roaming, the free-roaming bunny will spend most of it's time grooming the caged bunny through the bars or lying next to it.

I have cardboard box castles, cat tunnels, baskets of hay and other big toys blocking their line of sight. Even when I have their favourite treats, they will remain 100% focused on chasing each other.

I will move the bonding sessions to different rooms in the house to get them to be friends there, just like you said. I think you are very right in that they just think of each other as ouside friends at the moment.

I have also tried the car ride technique whenever they go to the vet for nail clipping, and they get along great. They cuddle up together for support for the whole trip.

Thank you so much for all of your advice, I am really grateful. I'll keep you posted on how tomorrows indoor session goes.

HoneyPot wrote:
Also, you can try swapping cages - putting them in eachother's cage at night - try to break up their "this space is my space"behavior. Or swap litters so they smell the other's scent intheir area and start getting used to it.

Hi HoneyPot!

Thank you so muchfor the advice :).

Unfortunately I can't do the cage swapping at this moment as my bun Rodney has marine carpet ashis flooring (he never chews onanything), but my bun Layla has grass mat flooring as she will eat absolutely anything. I need to save up some money to change both bunnies floors to choroplast before I can swap cages, so that Layla doesn't eat the carpet in Rodney's cage. The coroplast costs about $30 per large sheet here though, so 4 sheets per cage is going to cost me a fair bit, which I can't afford right now.

That is a really good idea about swapping the litter boxes, I will try doing this.

Thank you again!

Hi there, I don't have any advice with the bonding, but just wanted to point out that a lot of real estate signs are made from coroplast and a lot of people are quite happy to part with old signs for free. Also you can ask at the real estate companies themselves as they often take them back and chuck them away once the homes have been sold.

Hi minilops!

Thank you so much, I had never thought of that, that's a really clever idea! There are lots of real estate companies in my area so I will ask around. Thank you! :)

Hi Eve,

As tough as it is do to (and worrisome), letting them chase each other is part of their natural bonding process. You need to let them go through that stage without much interruption (hard, I know!!!).

Mine were bonded everywhere else except Sunny's livingroom. In there, she'd chase Misu and Misu would run and snort and grunt etc....Once I forced my self to stay put and not get involved, the process really sped up and they are completely 100 % bonded now, no matter which room they're in.

:hug:

Hi sunnybunny!

Thank you for your suggestions! :)

I have had a bonding session in the living room today and they were both fine with each other, just like they are outside. I guess it might be just my bedroom that is the problem.

I guess I might try let them chase each other for a bit and see what happens, but I'm a bit worried about it. Maybe I will start by dividing the room in two, so I can catch them quicker if things get nasty, because I will have no hope ofseperating them if they go under the bed.

Did your bunnies just chase each other or were there any big fights when you let them do this in Sunny's living room?

Thank you again for your help and support, I really appreciate it.

There was never any biting at all, but Sunny did scratch Misu's eye...Caught her right on the eyelid. I really don't think it was intentional though, it happened when Sunny tried to mount Misu...Showing her dominance.

Thank you for that sunnybunny :).

That's a shame about Misu's eye, I hope she was ok.

I am hoping there will be no biting when I try this, will probably do it on the weekend.

Yep, she was fine. The vet said just to watch for infection, which never happened.

Well, good luck bonding your babies! Keep us posted.:goodluck

I'm glad to hear Misu was ok.

Thank you for the good luck wishes, I will let you know how it all goes. :kiss:

Hi peapoo_bunny! :D

How are you? How are Peapoo and Petey going?

Layla was spayed over a month ago, and ever since she recovered from the operation her and Rodney have been getting along perfectly! They are friends in my bunny room now and even in each others cages! Hopefully they can move in together soon :).

that sounds great eve!:bunnydance: im glad theyre getting along now and the surgerys done:Dwe need some pics!;)

peapoo and petey are doin good

I'm so glad the surgery is done and they are getting along too! :)

That's great to hear Peapoo and Petey are doing well, are they living together without any problems?

And pics are coming this weekend, I promise.

yeah peapoo and petey are in the same cage now..no more grumpy peapoo now that she's spayed.. and petey is starting to warm up to me alot to

cant wait to see pics!!!:bunnydance:

Aww, that is wonderful news! It's great that thespay helped Peapoo. Layla being grumpy and territorial was the mainreason my bonding didn't progress for months, the spay has donewonders.

I'm happy to hear Petey is warming up to you too. He looks so cute and sweet.

And I have a quick question about my bonding if anyone could help.Rodney and Layla are getting along on non-neutral territory (my bunnyroom) and in each others cages perfectly all week now.

They are cuddled up together most of the time, and I am starting tofeel cruel seperating them at night time. Since I sleep in the sameroom as them, do you think it would be too soon to let them staytogether at night time too?

:)So farI have been lucky that my two new bucks (3 months the 21st of this month) are still bonded. However, I put them in separate cages at night and when I am at work. I know when those hormones come into play, they may not get along. The smaller one (brothers) usually will mount the bigger buck more in the evening then in the day. They are usually out most of the day together at this point (especially with all these school days off). They do seem to chase each other in circles, but they are not biting at this time. Keep my fingers crossed that I can get them neuter before they get too aggressive with each other.

Latest posts

Back