bonding and fighting

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BelleBlanche

Reaction score
Hello!

I separated my rabbits because they started fighting. They are now nutered and the vet said that they still need to be seperated for 5 weeks. I see a lot of conflicting advice about if they should be seperated in different rooms ( they are now) or that they should still be close and see smell each other. What do you guys think?

There certainly is conflicting advice on bonding! That's probably because what works for one pair may not work for another. Bonding is such an individual thing and depends much on the personalities of each rabbit.

Generally, it can take as long as 6-8 weeks post neuter for hormones to fully dissipate. This is why it is often recommended to wait until 2 months have passed before trying to bond a neutered male. Females don't need as much time.

Are your rabbits male? female?

If two rabbits were getting along well and were scheduled for neuters, they often can be placed back with each other fairly soon, if not, right away. At the very least, they can remain in side-by-side areas.

However, if they had been fighting beforehand, then it may be better for them to first fully settle their hormones (8 weeks for males) and remain completely separated. The reasoning behind that recommendation is that they forget that they had been fighting. The length of wait would be to ensure that hormones don't interfere with the process.

In a case where they are separated for a couple months, it would be a good idea (again, nothing concrete here) to then allow them time in side-by-side areas for perhaps a few weeks before beginning face to face bonding sessions.

This really helps me a lot! Also, just some confirmation that I am making the right choice keeping them totally separate. I will keep this in mind:

"In a case where they are separated for a couple of months, it would be a good idea (again, nothing concrete here) to then allow them time in side-by-side areas for perhaps a few weeks before beginning face to face bonding sessions."

For now, I will separate them 5- 8 weeks and then indeed I feel like your recommendation is a good option. Did not see myself putting them in the bathroom after so long and see if they can handle each other now. So, to give them time together apart and then start the bonding procedure feels good. Although both rabbits are free roamed with both a cage (to do their business and eat hay), in a bunny proof house, it is quite challenging to put them next to each other. (without locking them in their cage for a few weeks)

Yeah, two sweet males. (I know the challenges and the small change that they will bond). If they don't I will change one of them for a female after a couple vacation and I already contacted locations. However, for now I want to try since they just been neutered and there is a waiting list at the shelters. So why not give it a try :)

I have patience, home a lot, and I like them a lot.

Latest posts

Back