Bonding an Adult and Baby Rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ginger-Pond

New Rabbit Mom
Reaction score
Hello there! I have recently adopted another rabbit. Ginger is around 5 weeks old and a sweetheart. I adopted her (I'm assuming she's a girl but do not know for sure) to make sure Pond (my 6 month Lop) had some companionship. I will be going to college soon, which means I will not be able to interact with Pond as much. To make sure he doesn't get depressed, I brought him to the pet store (I wish I could rescue, but the local shelter doesn't have rabbits) and he met Ginger.

At the pet store, Pond and Ginger ignored each other - which I've read is a good thing. However, when the two came home and were placed in a neutral area, Pond began to growl and charge at Ginger. Since Ginger is so small, I was worried that Pond would hurt her. This was yesterday.

Since then, when Pond has been out of his cage, he will chew at the bars of Ginger's cage. Or when Ginger is out of her cage and Pond is in his, Pond will growl and chew at his cage when Ginger is in close proximity.

Today, I put the two of them in the bathtub and allowed them to smell each other and get close. At first, Pond would charge at Ginger and bit at her bottom (I'm assuming he is trying to be dominant). Ginger was very scared and would growl and thump. I would block Pond every time he would do this. After a while, Pond calmed down near Ginger and I pet him while Ginger sniffed him. He allowed her to smell his head and ears. Eventually, I stopped letting him and Pond and Ginger separated. Pond groomed himself on the opposite side of the tub and Ginger huddled in the opposite corner.

Is it okay to bond a baby and an adult? I will be spaying Ginger when she gets old enough, but is it okay to start the bonding process while she is so young?

I wouldn't recommend bonding until both are fixed. When ginger reaches sexual maturity the dynamic could change drastically if you manage to bond them now, they may even fight viciously, causing problems for future attempts at bonding. I assume pond is neutered already?
Also, I'm concerned that the pet store would sell such a young baby bunny, but others may jump in with other opinions on that.
So, to sum up, your intentions are kind, but you may need to wait quite a while before trying to achieve a lasting bond with these two. I hope you are prepared to keep them separate if necessary until then, meanwhile giving each rabbit lots of love and attention. Good luck..

I'm actually in the same scenario right now. I have a 7 month old and going to bond a 2 month old. But not until spayed and 4-6 week after. I keep them in separate parts of the house. They don't see or hear each other. It kinda sucks but that's what you have to do. Don't listen to anything a store tells you either. Bonding two bunny can be a very fragile timely process. I'd do the same. Keep them apart until both are 4-6 weeks after spayed/neutered. Then understand that sometimes it takes weeks or month for them to bond. Good luck though and if you have any questions about the process. Ask away.
View attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1450326846.118989.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1450326884.224544.jpg

I'm actually surprised that your seeing such aggression from an adult towards a baby. As often adults and babies get along simply because the little ones are simply so young and haven't matured. Trying to bond and adult and baby is generally not recommended because they will seem to bond well, but the bond will often break once the baby goes through puberty and then the two rabbits need to be re-bonded after the new one is desexed. Pani on the forum successfully bonded a baby and adult, although they were snuggly from the beginning.

In your situation, it sounds like you're much better off keeping them separated until Ginger is old enough to be spayed. Then waiting a month before trying to bond them again. There is never a guarantee that two rabbits will be able to bond, but done right and with enough patience, most can be :)

Latest posts

Back