bonding again ...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunnybunny63

Reaction score
I decided that as my rabbits have been acting more mature recently and i think their hormone level has dropped that trying to bond them may work.

If you dont already know my two rabbits Daisy and Dandy came from the same litter and untill teenage hood they lived happily together. After this they have never lived together as Daisy would attack Dandy. Over the past few years a few accidents have occured due to escaped rabbits so Dandy now has a few scars to show for her battles.

This morning i took both Daisy and Dandy into the garrage as this is a neutral territory for them. I tied Dandy up on her harness. I then had Daisy on her lead, i walked Daisy in and let her walk roudn the whole of the garage before letting her near Dandy, once she got clsoe enough she started to lick around her left eye but then she bit. So i made a loud noise and moved her away. I then let her walk around before approaching Dandy again this time she got quite close but stayed with a small gap between them, they sat calmly like this for a little while before i encouraged them to get slightly closer they then sat closer together before i walked Daisy past again. I finally let Daisy sit next to Dandy again for a few mins before picking her up and taking her outside.

What do you think of the progress?

What do you think i should do next?

Hey there - sounds like things went great! The fact that they could be so close to each other without going after each other is a great sign and you are well on your way. I would say to keep doing what you're doing. You may even try them off leash in a neutral area and let them figure each other out. There may be a small bit of mounting which is normal - they will need to establish dominance.

You just need to watch them and make sure there is no fighting and no signs of agression. A small bit of nipping and mounting is acceptable as they work things out, but if you see tails up and ears back or if they start going after each other - seperate them.

So far it doesn;t sound like you will have too much difficulty, it's really just a time thing.

;)

thanks for the advice honeypot. I would love to jsut let them off but i fear for Dandys life! Im not sure if your aware of how much damage Daisy has caused her in the past so for now i will keep them on lead but hopefully i will be able to take them off shortly. :)

I'd be grateful for any more advice!

Thats great, that is progress! Don't go fast, keep doing that for at least one hour every day, and considering their past, I would say for at least 2 weeks. But that's me, I like to move slow but safely!

you can also try switching them around in their cage for a day or so. This would make them get use to each others smell. We are in the process of bonding our two ladies, and we needed to switch them first before having playtime together. Give it a shot. They might get freaked the first time, but soon enough they will use the same litter, some food and water.... which makes it easier for them to accepted each other as they know the scent. Take it nice and slow.....

Good Luck,

Pancakes

I am happy to announce that Daisy and Dandy are, nearly, completly bonded.

I have had them running round the garden together which went very well. so i removed the middle fence of there pen and put up a temporary one which has removeable piece so i can let them be together when I am in.

This over the last couple of days has gone so well that tonight, they will spend their first night together since they were less than a year old.

Back