bonding advice

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mezeta

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

We have had about four bonding sessions so far. I put them both in the conservatory with lots of treats. I thought they were getting on well but now I'm not sure. Anyway heres what happened each meeting. What do you think

1ST MEETING

went well they were too busy exploring to bother too much with each other and they just had the occassional sniff no fights.

2ND MEETING

they ignored each other for a bit but Dexter keeps going up toJess and sniffing she sniffs back and then gets annoyed and nips him. He keeps going back for more and she keeps giving him nips everytime he gets near she puts her ears back as though she is about to fight. Then sometimes he will go up to her and she will put her head down and he will groom her. Then she gets annoyed grunts and gives him a nip.

3RD MEETING

Same as2nd meeting but now they will eat infront of one another. Sit fairly closesometimes next to each other and also are happy washing and lying down in the same room as each other. Jess keeps coming to me and wanting me to stroke her (shedoesn't normally bother this much) and keeps snuggling up next to me (she never does this normally) Dexter chased her around a bit and after a minute she got annoyedgrunted and lunged at him.She will bow her head down and want him to groom her and he will then put his head down and try to get it under her head in the hope she will groom him. She gets annoyed at him and gives him a nip.

4TH MEETING (TODAY)

Much of the same sort of stuff whenever Dexter does groom her she gets annoyed and nips after a few seconds or so and he still wants her to groom him. He tried to get her attention and when she didn't turn around he made a funny noise and thumped. He has done this a couple of times I really can't describe the noise.

Does anyone know what is happening here? I just can't tell if they like each other, sort of like each other, annoy each other or just plain hate each other?!? Any tips or advice would be sooooo appreciated.

Thanks

Amy xx

It sounds like they are trying to sort out their standings with each other. Also, they might pick up on your mood if you are confused/anxious/stressed, etc.

I would be more inclicned to do 'little and often' bonding if they were doing that.

Is Jess spayed?

ETA, I just saw your reply. I would say give them time. She wants toi be dominant, I think, but when he grooms her, maybe she is not liking how he does it. nipping is ok, you just don't want circling or obviously full on fighting or biting properly.

Do they have cages? If so, I would recommend switching there cages.

For example you would put Jess in Dexter's cage and Dexter in Jess' cage.

You could also switch there toys during the day.

This helps because it will no longer be one territory but both of them. It is easier to finally put them in the cage and no they will be OK.

Also, they get the others scent which,in most cases, will make them more comfortable with each other.

Hannah

Latest posts

Back