Bonding advice please

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nitis3334

Reaction score
Well I haven't visited here in about 2 months, been a busy time. Unfortunately last night Firefly passed away. Him and his brother are only 11 months old, and now his brother Cricket is all alone. He still has me and the 2 cats who are friends with him, but I don't think it is the same as having his brother.

Firefly was the dominant male, but Cricket was fine with it that way. Cricket would spend a long time grooming Firefly and just nuzzling with him. At this point I think it is to early for Cricket to realize his brother is gone. So I'm trying to decide on the best approach to making sure he doesn't get depressed. I've had him out with me all day to keep him distracted, but at bed time he will have to go back in his cage.

I'm bringing him to the vet on Monday to make sure he is in good health in case I decide to introduce a new rabbit soon. The thing is I know trying to bond rabbits can be a bit difficult. Does anyone have any tips? Keeping in mind that Cricket is about 15 lbs and 11 months old, should I be looking for young rabbit or an adult? I will be getting a female, who I will have spayed at the right age. Also going to talk to the vet about getting Cricket neutered.

Thank you for any advice, I just want what is best for Cricket.

I've never bonded rabbits before, but I know from talking to others who have that bonding rabbits can be tricky, but it can also be really easy. It really just depends on the rabbits' personalities. If Cricket is submissive, it'll be a lot easier to bond him than a dominant rabbit. Plus, he's been bonded before, so that should make it easier for him to bond again.

Once you've determined Cricket is in good health and have him neutered, I recommend taking him to a shelter and letting him pick his girlfriend. I don't recommend getting a baby rabbit in the hopes they'll bond once the baby matures and is spayed. I've heard too many stories of that backfiring in a big way.

Hope that helps!

Rue

Back