Bonding a Trio

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmv1983

Reaction score
I had posted before regarding my brother's senior Bun, Nova who is 7-8 years old, unspayed. After advice from this board I have decided against getting her spayed. I have decided to attempt bonding my three buns. These buns are:

Snowball (spayed) female-Aged 5
Frosty (Neutered) Male-Age 3-4
Nova (unspayed) Female-Age 7-8

For about a week Nova has been housed above my buns cage, so they are able to smell her. Today I put them in the bathroom (supervised of course, on neutral territory). Nova presented her head to be groomed by my female, and the male. They did groom her, but then nova decided to scare my female away. She grunted and kicked with her front legs, but did not attack her.

My male has also taken up to mounting her, could this result in a false pregnancy, or do rabbits become barren after a certain age?

I was wondering if this shows promise for possibly being able to bond a trio? Or should I just let the idea go? I hate the idea of leaving nova alone the rest of her life, but adopting another rabbit is out of the question. I cannot afford another pet, and having her given to me by my brother strains my wallet as it is. But I could not turn her away.

Potentially yes, a neutered male could cause a flase pregnancy in a girlie of any age.

Nova seems to be displaying the traits of an unspayed female in terms of how she reacted to Snowball.

This might be a turbulent bond, and you may find it only works sometimes, but so far it doesn't sound like it's going horrendously, so you could persevere with it. It may be that you get to a point where they are ok together but that you don't compeltely trust them, in which case they might be able to have playtime together, or it might be that it works, or doesn't work. Generally, as long as they are not causing each other an injury (or working towards it) you can keep working at it. Do be aware though that sometimes adding a bunny can upset the heirachy of the pair, and so might leave you with three individual buns, or a different pair and single.

If they don't bond I wonder if there is a way to adapt their cages so that they have the opportunity to be next to each other and see each, even if they can't be together.

Latest posts

Back