Bonded trio, now broken...what next?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bethstang

Reaction score
Hi,
I had just successfully bonded a trio of 3 neutered males, all approx. 2 yrs old. They have been bonded for 3 - 4 months. I went on vacation for 2 weeks and decided to board them at a animal hospital that I work at, the girls at work said they did fine for about a week and then a fight broke out and they didn't know what to do but separate them. I brought them home today and they are fighting horribly, no blood shed just chasing and hair pulling. What do I do now?

Were there other rabbits at where they were staying? Maybe seeing other rabbits (especially does, even though they're neutered) affected the bond. Maybe you can start from scratch bonding them.

So sorry this happened. I have heard that changing locations can upset a bond. It is new territory for which to stake claim. Trios, especially with males, are particularly difficult. I imagine that change of location with all its strange smells and sounds was mostly the cause.

Are all three not getting along, or is it one odd man out?

It sounds like you may have to start from square one all over again. Either that or keep 2 together (if they get along) and then get a spayed female for the third.

What a bummer that this happened.

You´re having the same problem as I had with my three. Last Christmas, I was looking after a friend´s dog and staying at her house but spending most of the day at my house with the boys. However, I decided to house them all together for the time I was away as I thought they´d keep each other company even though two of the boys were housed separately as I had a small issue with their bond after neutering. Anyway, when I came back, I housed them separately again but thought they might be able to go out together but it wasn´t possible as they chased and nipped and sometimes fought so I had to let them out separately with my other bun who still got on with them both. I tried bonding again in the bath, supervising while out together and had periods where I went back to them being separated for weeks on end as it didn´t seem to improve or improved for a while but then they´d fight again.

A couple of months ago, I decided to proof the balcony so they had extra space to use and so they could get some fresh air and I let them all out together there. Lo and behold, they were fine together and since then, they´ve been OK. They still chase and nip but it´s more playful than anything else. The process took about 7 months of trying and then giving up and trying again but they finally got there.

So, I think you will just have to work on the two who aren´t getting on and bond from step 1 of the process again. You know your buns so you will have to supervise carefully. I started and stopped several times when I thought there was no progress but I´m glad I persevered as I knew these two love each other to bits, they´ve been together since birth. Patience is the key and let them go at their speed and not yours if you want the bond to last again.

Maybe the next time you go away, you could get someone to housesit so the buns routine and environment doesn´t alter.

I know they´ll be ok eventually again but it´s just getting there that is so difficult. Would love to see some pics of them.

Latest posts

Back