bonded rabbits--fighting

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piperknitsRN

Reaction score
My bunnies Simon and Olive have been bonded since November of last year. This morning, my boyfriend witnessed Olive chasing Simon, nipping, mounting and tearing out chunks of fur while they were both in the X pen. Then I witnessed it. Simon didn't seem to fight back, but I removed Olive to a different cage (which is unfortunately too small, but it's all I have at the moment) before they both started fighting.

What could have precipitated her aggressiveness? They are both neutered--Olive at around 5 months and Simon before he was adopted from the shelter. They both appear healthy.

This is very odd, because I spent a lot of time with them this weekend in my room (where they spent the day and night; usually they just spend the night over in my room to get exercise). I didn't put them in the bedroom last night, but I don't think this necessarily has anything to do with Olive's aggression this morning.

This sometimes happens. I'm not quite sure why. Some of the more experienced members should have better advice. For now I would keep them separate.

Not getting the exercise MIGHT have led to frustration which led to the aggressiveness. I would make sure they both were housed in the same room so they don't unbond. And start putting them together again only under supervision & remove her at the first sign of aggression. Hopefully you won't have to do this too many times until things are back to normal.

Bonded bunnies may still go through the dominance displays mentioned above. Usually, as long as it's just fur and no blood/cuts, they can resolve it on their own. They were probably wanting to claim the space and deciding who would be boss in that space. Hihihi :)Keep an eye on them to make sure they do resolve it and it doesn't escalate, but it doesn't necessarily mean they are unbonding either, just having a squabble. I call it 'domestic disturbance' :p

Latest posts

Back